Non alcoholic beer

Been sober over 4 months. Is non alcoholic beer a bad idea for sobriety?

You’ve gotta make the (judgement) call. If you have a sponsor, it’s your responsibility to make a (phone) call.

Me – I love the taste of beer, but cannot imagine drinking NA. Partly because I love the taste of good beer. Other beer is just for getting drunk. Which is the other reason I wouldn’t drink NA beer. For me, it would be flirtation.

1 Like

I drink NA wine without being tempted to move on to the real stuff but I think it’s because the act is not my trigger. I find it can help me make it through a trigger.

But many people here have said it would tempt them.

Ultimately you need to work it out for yourself. What would trigger you?

Whats the point? I personally wouldnt chance it.

3 Likes

I agree @Jante76 and @Browne. What’s the point? I feel like it’s just a tease and would be a crack in the door for the real thing. No sense in flirting with danger. But that’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

@Rosey I’m a big fan of fruit juice sparkling water! You get the bubbles and a nice fresh flavor. Kombucha is also another great one that reminds me of a sour beer!

4 Likes

I’m obsessed with La Croix atm!

3 Likes

It has alcohol in it. In my opinion you are setting yourself up to start drinking again.

1 Like

Sugar free red bull is also a good option

I appreciate your concern but kombucha does not bother me, and I do not like energy drinks :slight_smile: There IS kombucha made without alcohol and these have been recently released in the UK.

1 Like

I quit drinking liquor and beer for 2 years (several years ago) and when i would have a strong craving i would drink NA beer. It helped during that time but after my divorce i picked the liquor instead. I dont have bad things to say about it…but it may be tempting to you instead. Ask yourself if you want to take that risk.

1 Like

Whats the point of drinking NA beer if you want to stop drinking why drink stuff which is labeled Alcoholic maybe still looking for that buzz? soda water and lime more refreshing

3 Likes

Check out this thread! Continuing the discussion from Replacement Drink?:

Iv just started this sobriety thing! Its been 42 days now without a drop of alcohol. I bought a couple of NA beers and they sat in the fridge for a few weeks, I opened one and felt almost guilty drinking it and then really felt like a proper beer! I resisted the temptation.

6 Likes

This is an older post but I had to share what I just read and laughed at. I’ve never heard this:

“Drinking O’Douls is like kissing a tit through a sweater” :rofl:

Author unknown

5 Likes

A saying I’ve heard in my AA community is ”Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics.” But it’s a decision you make for yourself. Just keep in mind that at some point every alcoholic says they’d do ANYTHING to get and stay sober. Is NA beer THAT important when you would do ANYTHING to stay sober?

4 Likes

Nice analogy :joy::joy::+1:

1 Like

You know what it is a very bad idea in early recovery. because first off if you’re even thinking about having a beer and putting yourself in a setting where you’re going to have non-alcoholic or alcoholic beverages you’re going to relapse and you got to be able to practice your relapse prevention first off.

I fucking hate life and I just don’t want to be alive I am cas I have kids and a healthy fear of Jesu’s or I’d be fucking dead cas I hate my life

It could lead to something more so I would say it could be a bad idea

2 Likes