Not a race

So I’m at step 7 and am not trying to race through this 12 step thing. I want to keep moving forward but I’m not ready to get on 8 and 9. My sponsor wants me to quickly move through them and start sponsoring but I’m only 60 days sober. I DO NOT feel ready to sponsor for sure. Any advice?

2 Likes

Maybe consider dropping your sponsor and finding another. They shouldnt take offense to this but find someone that fits you and your pace. You may have to brief them or start over with your previous step work as speeding through it isnt the best way obviously and you feel the same…if you have an issue with a member you can always bring that up to the chairman to handle at the end.

1 Like

Almost 9 months, and on step 3. If your gut says no, then dont.

10 Likes

You mentioned feeling overwhelmed before also. I’ve certainly felt the same. Sometimes taking days to go back to revisit things. Have you talked to your sponsor about how you’re feeling?

1 Like

Normally I would say listen to your sponsor, but I kinda feel like your gut might be right here.

2 Likes

Now, take this with a grain of salt. But The fastest I’ve heard someone going is one step a week. He’s a buddy and he shares pretty frequently that his sponsor told him they can go as fast or slow as he wanted. So my buddy said he wants to do one a week. They spent 3 weeks on step 4.

He came in a couple weeks after I did and he’s still sober. I saw him today at a Brown bagger actually. So he’s been sober around 21 months.

Reguardless, there must be something special about you that your sponsor sees if he’s already talking about you sponsoring. But in my opinion, you need a lot more expirience before that comes to fruition.

Keep doin what you’re doin pal. It’s you’re program. And another grain of salt thing here, but I was taught that if you’re struggling in any way with a step, then go back to the prior step.

Best wishes

2 Likes

I agree with all the other posts to listen to your gut. 60 days sober might be too early to sponsor a newcomer. Some people may be able to take on that responsibility, but not all. I’m wondering how much sobriety your sponsor has? Have you met anyone else that you would want as a sponsor?:unicorn:

Thank you…i think it’s wiser to stay at my place.

1 Like

I know a guy has 3 years sobriety, still on step 3.

I’m pretty sure my sponsor had a very aggressive approach from his sponsor and that worked for him. I actually have no fears or concerns in making amends and finishing the other 3 steps with all sincerity but that is not gonna change my stance on the sponsoring issue…its WAY TOO SOON for me to be doing that. PERIOD.

1 Like

Some people can only sponosr or react to people the way they were approached. Might be time to find someone that will have enough concern for you to help you with what you actually need. From a guy with 40 yrs sobriety, “no 2 people’s recovery is exactly the same. There are similarities, but people are different.”

Yeah, that’ll be me. :rofl: