Not admitting I have a problem, just admitting I am the problem

Im not saying Im beginning another attempt of sobriety for a girl but its cause of what shes said to me: I like you better when youre sober. Three times now. I have never heard that in my life. I dont even know if I like myself sober, I havent seen that light in years. I cant stand the thoughts in my head or feeling my body. Liquor soothes and silences that. I also hurt her the other night, harsh words after pounding back loads of gin. Kind of a normalcy for me in all my past relationships: drink, abuse, repeat. But this shouldnt be normal. Shes reminded me not to be a dick in the best way. I dont wanna burn this bridge. I dont wanna burn anymore bridges. And even if we dont work out, shes reminded me that there is somebody out there who will like me better sober.
Who was your positive influence to get here?

4 Likes

We’re always going to look at a loved one for that, but it’s gotta be you. Love yourself first. That will solve your problems.

1 Like

I absolutely agree and appreciate the input. I pretty much am saying that shes influenced me but I want it for myself

1 Like

Well in that I agree. My family influences me. I’m in the throes of fighting for mine. It’s rough. I just spent the night in the couch. And I don’t know how it will turn out. But I’m going to fight this time. I never have before.

1 Like

Theres help out there if you seek it it might help to share with someone face to face , got to do it for yourself best of luck wish you well

I get what you’re sayin. It took someone else to make you realize you had a problem. It’s a very fine line between being inspired by someone to quit and quitting For someone else.

Using that inspiration can be Good and bad. Just as long as you completely accept that quitting may not give you what you want with this person. And complete acceptance that you do really have to quit for you. This person has givin you a gift a realization, use it.

3 Likes

Yes! Exactly! And i already know that in the end i could be totally alone but this is really what i want for myself. Im ready to take this and run with it for myself.

1 Like

Im excited for you and your excitement for staying sober. I had someone say that to me years ago but that was back when I didnt care about getting sober.I still remember it though.
There will be people that prefer the other and visa versa but I think that says more about where they are at in their life. I think it shows you what kind of people you should surround yourself with. Positive and supportive people.People who like you happy and healthy.

Thanks for sharing i know thats hard. Ive been a dick to so many women, some I did care about and some I didnt. But I got sick of apologizing. Even if I didnt care about them I hated waking up wondering what relationship or bridge I burned. As I said Ive accepted if me and this girl wont work out but Im really grateful to have her around right now. She makes it worth trying for myself and trying to work on us as well.

Thanks so much. Yeah its not even about whether I drink or not, its about how I act when I get all fucked up. Its that she likes me but if I keep treating her like shit cause I get too wasted all the time than shes done. And thats reasonable she has every right too. So im getting sober cause i need to for myself. But she also gives me good motiviation.

1 Like

That is awesome. :+1::blush: