Not cool! What happened last night!

Thank you, I was shocked at how quickly I turn a turn for the worse. That wasn’t a craving, that was a full blown plan and that’s 100 times worse! Very thankful that train got derailed.

2 Likes

I agree 100% I wasn’t prepared for last night and I can’t predict what might trigger another “planned drink” but holy crap! I’m now aware of how powerful that thought can be and how persuasive I can be with my sober self. I’m definitely going to have a better plan in the future for sure.

1 Like

Day 17 is awesome! And yes, I definitely had an angel last night. So thankful to be on day 26 still!!!

2 Likes

The honesty in this post is so beautiful I’m so glad you were not able to drink. One day at a time for me I’m literally counting the seconds and being proud for each minuet that passes I’m only day two and I’m having all the same thoughts so it’s crazy to see someone else’s brain talk to them the way mine is deff helps knowing I’m not alone or crazy like I feel you should be super proud of yourself seriously

4 Likes

Hey Keith - how long (days/months wise) would you say you felt that point where it’s like: “I don’t want to give up how many days I’ve gone sober”. If that makes sense. I’m newly trying to get sober and only lasted 5 days before starting over. And in my head it’s like, oh it was only 5 days, not too long, so I can just start over and do it next time. I’m finding myself rationalizing away sobriety - because THAT makes sense (heavy sarcasm noted).

2 Likes

Thank you💜 It does get easier, especially on day 8 because then you’ve made it past 1 week. Set little goals! I’m on day 26 and my next goal date is day 30. I’m glad I don’t have to reset the clock.

1 Like

Stop beating yourself up, it’s in the past now and you can’t change anything, you can only move forward. Great job! I’m happy for you, you did the right thing. Hugs

1 Like

Hi Hlillady, I’d say day 5 is hard for most people especially getting through the first weekend but what helps is to ask yourself ‘do i want to start from day 0 AGAIN, or wake up with day 6 under my belt!’ , and so on.

1 Like

That’s some serious strength to drive away! I love hearing stories like yours. 1 more day in the books!!!

For sure! Moving forward with some much needed knowledge😄

I know there so many stories here that have helped me in so many ways! I honestly never realized how much it helps to write things down and talk about the struggles. It’s one more way that I’m held accountable and gives me some sober insurance lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t make it through my first weekend…I shall try. Thanks.

3 Likes

It’s crazy how we have to plan for the worst and hope for the best lol I guess that saying is true. Each setback for me is a wake up moment that I’m not ever giving up on being sober. However long it may take to be at the point many people are at, loving life!

3 Likes

@Kmills888
True story. …a woman from our AA group lost her father a couple weeks ago and the morning of the funeral before she got out of bed decided she was going to get drunk immediately after the funeral. (She has a little over 3 yrs sobriety) She had it all planned, knew her favorite bar less than 1/2 mile from her home so she could walk home after.
Funeral comes and goes, she’s driving to the bar. She saddles up to the bar and is asked what’s it gonna be. “We lost our liquor license last week, but I can still pour you some juice if you’d like” says the bartender.
Now if that’s not a Higher Power at work, I don’t know what is! !
We laughed at the comedy of it and the chances a bar wouldn’t be able to serve alcohol!

10 Likes

Wow that is a incredible story. Yes hight power was looking out for her.

Man that’s crazy! I keep an eye out for signs like that and keep an open mind. Sorry to hear about her father, she definitely had an angel looking out for her, I’d hate to be 3 years in and have to reset the clock.

Thank you for sharing, it has been exciting, in the end you have won and I like it a lot, there will come a time when you forget about alcohol and do not be anxious about it … be strong, a hug, here you are not alone.

1 Like

I enjoyed reading your post. I’ve gone through nights like that - minus the fingernail painting.

Unfortunately I have not been successful avoiding my triggers that much…but when I have been good its been when I plan my day ahead of time to avoid the triggers - exercise, movies, etc.

1 Like

I wish I could have 1 day where I don’t think about it. I will say that it is getting less and less and I’m beyond thankful for that!!

4 Likes

It’s better to make a plan to not drink than it is to make a plan to drink. Everyday I make some sort of list of things I’m going to do when I get off work.