Not drinking, and *trigger warning* marijuana

I would appreciate hearing people’s thoughts on smoking marijuana while abstaining from alcohol.

I have 66 days sober from both. In my opinion, drinking was a serious problem in my life and I know it’s not something I can do again. But pot…I honestly have had nothing but positive experiences with it. I’m at a point where I don’t really miss drinking - and I’m visiting Bend so I’m surrounded by and have been in breweries galore! - but smoking still sounds lovely.

I know people who have been sober from alcohol for many years and can smoke no problem. My sponsor has warned me that the only two women she’s sponsored who started smoking went back to drinking. Personally, the two seem like separate issues.

I don’t know. What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

Your brain can’t differentiate between what’s causing a dopamine release. If you’re an alcoholic, pot will most likely cause you problems. It may take longer to get there but it will. Plus, what’s the point of getting sober if you are still going to get high. You’re still escaping from reality.

I could also go on about how pot is actually a lot shittier than it seems but I’m sure others will touch on it.

7 Likes

It’s safer for me to smoke then drink

2 Likes

It’s still terrible for your health but if I kept drinking I was definitely going to die or kill somebody

1 Like

Just me but I found smoking marijuana always led me back to drinking therefore I abstain from both.

6 Likes

An addiction is an addiction regardless of what substance it is.

4 Likes

IMHO, it’s substituting one addiction for another. Doesn’t matter what substance, even if the popular opinion is marijuana is “harmless”, if you have an addictive personality, you could just as easily become a wake and baker. I say this as a light weight when it comes to smoking. One hit makes me debilitated, no way would I ever be able to function normally or drive after smoking.

2 Likes

I agree with you Asenath nice to meet you well.said

1 Like

:blush::wave: You too

1 Like

Yes, I have. Of course

1 Like

So…there are some other factors I didn’t go into. I used to have a serious eating disorder, and marijuana was one of the only things that helped with that. Right now I’m managing my anxiety around food, but it’s managing…not enjoying. Smoking a little while I’m on vacation here where there are nice restaurants (I live is a food desert) sounds fun. I miss getting hungry and enjoying food :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I think it depends on the person. For me personally, I can’t work or run errands when I’m high. And I know this so I’m able to limit my use to evenings when I know it won’t be a problem. This was absolutely not the case with alcohol. I functioned perfectly fine during the day and could, unfortunately, work and do everything that needed to be done during the week even after a pint of whiskey for breakfast :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Anyone can come up with any type of excuse to justify why the use.

3 Likes

I’m the opposite

1 Like

I was as well

1 Like

It is legal in several states in America, including the one I live in. For both medical and recreational purposes.

I will. I’m planning on abstaining until at least after I’m done with my 90 in 90, if not my steps (I’m doing my 5th step with my sponsor this week). So we’ll see how it goes :heart:

2 Likes

My fiance is a “wake and baker”… it has 100% control over his life. He cant eat unless he smokes, he cant sleep unless he smokes, he cant enjoy anything unless he smokes. When he comes home my daughter yells “daddy daddy” at the garage door but he doesnt come inside for a good 30 min because he is smoking pot. Want to go for a walk?? Too bad, I have to wait for him to smoke pot. And its effecting his nursing school. He is constantly paranoid people can tell he is high. He went to clinicals twice with fake piss strapped to his leg. And he is sooo sloooow when he is high I cant stand him. And he smells like pot all the time. And its so expensive! He has stomach pains and a chronic cough from all the weed. He misses out on sooo much from having to constantly smoke.

My point is, do you want this to happen to you? You may think you can control it, but an addict is an addict. Each time you smoke you are putting yourself at risk of it taking over your life.

4 Likes

I do not want that to happen to me.

But my experience with pot has been very different. I received straight As and earned 2 degrees while smoking, it helped my eating disorder and GI issues (which I have had since I was a child), and I’m the kind of person who will smoke some sativa and then garden or paint the house for hours.

I do understand your point. And I’m sorry you are having to deal with it daily, it definitely sounds like it’s negativity affecting your relationship and your life. Have you talked to him about it?

3 Likes

I’ve been interested in the Dharma Recovery approach. Is it just going to this website and finding a meeting? https://recoverydharma.org/
Any info you could share would be appreciated.

As far as this topic thread goes, I know what’s right for me and it’s being in the present with a clear head. I guess it depends on the person, but I would feel like I was trading one addiction for another potential one.