Not in my house

So last night my girlfriends dad came over for dinner and of course he brought a six pick. I saw myself staring the whole time. He drank two and left the rest in the fridge. I told her I’m going to pour them out. He’s supposed to come by on Sunday again and I told her to tell him not to bring any alcohol in my house In light of me trying to stay sober. She kind of gave me an attitude. You would think she would be a little more reasonable. So if he comes over I’m going to respectfully tell him that he’s not allowed here with and alcohol due to me trying to stay sober and not wanting to be tempted. Am I wrong for that? Opinions?

5 Likes

Nope, your house and your not ready to be around it yet. When your ready you’ll know, and then can you ease into it being around it. Goodluck.

I think you did the right thing. You need to set boundaries. I think your significant other just acted emotionally as opposed to logically. Try to get her to open up about why she acted like that

2 Likes

You are spot on. Dump it out. Not sure what brand he bought but at this point it’s a few dollars sitting in the fridge possibly taunting / tempting you. Your sobriety is worth a lot more than a few bucks.

1 Like

Thanks guys good advice as always. Much appreciated

Suggest directly or via your girlfriend that he only brings enough to consume during his visit so there are no leftovers. Just until you are over the initial withdrawal period and if/when you feel more comfortable with visitors bringing alcohol into your house.

4 Likes

If he knows you’re trying to stay sober, he should respectfully not drink in your house during this time. Even bringing enough over to consume for his visit is disrespectful, I think, unless he is not aware of what’s going on with you’re sobriety, etc. but yeah. Get rid of it. Who cares if they think it’s no big deal sitting in the fridge for one more day. If it bothers you, it needs to go…no shame in that.

2 Likes

You are absolutely not wrong with that at all it’s your house and setting healthy boundries is your right !!! And if he respects you as a man for what you are doing !!!and your significant other in my opinion and I can only speak for myself should have your back it’s in your residence your space stand tall and set those boundries. PS ya pour those beers out !! I would temptation would

2 Likes

Be there you know out of site out of mind keep up the good work

1 Like

Your house. End of story.

1 Like

Like you said, Respectfully tell him you are not comfortable with booze in your house. Respectfully is the key word there. It could go south quick if you were a dick about it. But you know the drill man. There is a certain way we have to talk to our chicks father. You’ll be fine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was half way typing the same thing and read your comment. Very well said.

Hey man. Your house your rules. Okay.
But be a little calm, and respectful. Make them understand that you can not tolerate alcohol (Ofcourse if they ask - for so and so reasons).

Being calm doesn’t make your words weaker. Emphasis on what you’re saying. but don’t exaggerate. You’re spot on - on whatever you said. Just keep a calm behavior and show respect. I’m sure he’ll understand. And yes go all out arms if he brings it again hahaha.

1 Like

Not only are you not wrong, but your also doing some great boundary work!

You are being very reasonable and should definitely stick tonyor guns this one. You can’t control peoples drinking as a general rule, nor should you want to or half to in order to be sober. However this is your house and you have every right to keep your environment an alchohol free zone where you can relax and recover in peace and security.

Thats s fundamental right of yours.

Great work!

2 Likes