Nothing worse than this fight with my head

Going to try appointment at my go see if there is any help I can get from them to stop drinking

4 Likes

Good luck. Be strong

That’s great Stevie. Your UK yes?
Just tell them straight. Answer every question honestly.
They’ll probably ask about depression, anxiety.
They will suggest AA and maybe other external groups like SMART.
I think it depends on the GP’s knowledge of addiction though.
But the main thing is for you to be honest with them.
Sending you strength my friend.

3 Likes

Hey Stevie, that’s great, visiting my Gp was a game changer for me. They referred me to the local Alcohol Services who provided me with a Keyworker, counselling sessions, access to recovery groups including AA and SMART and an appointment with their own Dr who prescribed antibuse. If you want anything other than advice you may be asked to go to Alcohol Services which can be a bit daunting, believe me I didn’t want to go, I wasn’t one of ‘those’ alcoholics in my mind :roll_eyes: turns out it was the best thing I ever did. Good luck

2 Likes

I just don’t know what to do anymore I really don’t am so depressed it’s unreal I want to get off this roundabout I really do but I wanna drink all the time

1 Like

When I was in the depths of my active drinking, I too felt depressed and afraid and dominated by the certainty that I was going to drink again. What changed for me was a growing desperation that eventually propelled me to get help. And as @anon12657779 points out, when I was 100% honest with my GP, then they were able to help me,

My soul was crushed, my self talk was all negative, and yet I persisted in attempting to fight alcohol. I had to reach a place of surrender, of ceasing to struggle, of abandoning the thinking that it wouldn’t be so bad this time, a place of complete openness to the idea of sobriety. I became convinced that I could stop drinking and that everything was going to be alright. From that place, I began to stay sober for one day, each day. Just concentrated on getting to bed sober.

If sobriety was possible for me to attain, it is possible for you. Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

7 Likes

Getting the courage to admit that’s the way forward shows a lot of guts man. If you can open up and be honest there is a lot of great help out there you just have to want it mate

1 Like

You always have such an eloquent way of saying what I was to say Dan!:grinning:

1 Like

Nothing wrong with it. I see a counselor. Now I am seeing my doctor. He knows I know all this ACoA stuff, trauma etc.

Nothing like living it

What is SMART?

It’s a recovery group based around CBT I’m not too sure. @Robketts, @RedDragon know more about it than me. It’s online though.

2 Likes

Hi @ReneeAnn smart stands for self management and recovery training. it’s based on CBT talking therapy and uses a number of recovery based tools.

It is similar to AA in that you are part of a group. The group helps one another with recovery based issues and uses the combined groups experience as well as recovery tools to help maintain a sober life…if you need any more info just pm me :grin:

1 Like

I wish there was a smart meeting on near me of an evening, time to look in to it online. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have never tried the online meeting…i would be interested in what you think… you could try sending for the text books or doing the online training…:grin:

2 Likes

Yet I fully intend to. There are two meetings in towns near to me but both at 3.30 on a Wednesday afternoon. I was initially reluctant to go to avoid the people I used to use with who were attending but still in active addiction, in starting back in work next week so wouldn’t be able to start going now. I’m actually going to look online now and prefer the material and will do the online and let your know. I go to NA and really benefit from that but I want every tool available, I like the smart approach aswell. :+1::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Just messaged you :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey Connor are you a man utd fan by any chance :thinking::grinning::+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would like you to message me :slight_smile:

Ask and you shall recieve :slightly_smiling_face:

I asked :slight_smile: