Numb hands

So I realize that numb hands are a part of alcohol/drug withdrawal… but I am 4 months sober (woop woop!) and it almost seems like it is more frequent than before. I wake up every night, sometimes serval times and it’s not like when your hands fall asleep and it’s tingly… they are just completely numb. Can’t feel a thing. Is this normal or am I dying or what?

Do you take a multivitamin? I am not a doctor but understand it may be due to a vitamin deficiency.

1 Like

I do not😬
But I’m going to start now! Thanks! The timing of it just seems so strange. I treated my body like shit until now and never have had this. I eat healthier than I did before sobriety. Just so weird to me🤷🏼‍♀️

3 Likes

Like both hands or one or the other?

One of my hands will go numb if I’m laying on it, or if my wrist is bent. One time my doc gave me wrist braces to wear while I sleep to prevent that.

But you know what’s weird, my toes went numb during a hike and 2 month later, I still cant feel them at all. Even stranger, MY wife can’t feel them either!

Usually one or the other. Or one and a half. I could literally bite my finger off and would feel no pain. It so weird. Wait… your wife can’t feel her toes or yours? Maybe your toes fell off. Have you looked at them since the hike?

2 Likes

She cant feel my toes!! :rofl::laughing:

While I’m not a doctor, and you should always consult a professional, it’s likely you have poor circulation (as do I and everyone in my family) and probably nothing serious. Like I mentioned, simply having your wrists bent can do this, as most side sleepers experience (they tend to hold their hands close to the body)

But, seriously, get checked out if it is disrupting your sleep or at all is a concern.

1 Like

If you’re able to, I’d recommend chatting with your doctor about this. I have Raynaud’s and am going to get tested for neuropathy, both make my hands numb but neither hit me in the middle of the night. I’m always an advocate for blood work!

3 Likes

“Wait… your wife can’t feel her toes or yours? Maybe your toes fell off? Have you looked at them since the hike. Maybe they fell off.”
Omg I needed that tonight. It made me lol

2 Likes

Hahaha yes! I’m glad😂

I didn’t know numbness in the hands/arms could be caused by alcohol. That explains so much. I thought I was having blockage. I’m 7 months sober and it hasn’t happened in a while. Hopefully it’s gone for good. That or I’ll drop dead of an aneurism

1 Like

I have this, mostly in my right hand but sometimes both. My problem is mostly carpal tunnel, but also that (like someone said above) I sleep with my hand or hands tucked up near my sternum or head. Try a simple wrist brace then go from there.

1 Like

I get that when I lift too heavy at the gym, but I also have tendinitis in my shoulder!! Possibly a circulation thing? I’d ask the doc!

1 Like

So after some pain mixed in with the numbness all of a sudden I went to the doctor and it’s carpal tunnel. Big bummer, but at least I know what it is!

2 Likes