October 2018 Book Club Discussion

Ok. I’ll start by posting 5 questions. Post your own questions too. Please also suggest a book for next month. I’ll pull the next book selection from a hat tomorrow. Make sure suggestions support recovery. Thx!

2 Likes
  1. Rate book from 1-4. Tell us why. Four is two thumbs up. One is two thumbs down.
  1. Sarah searched for solace, confidence, power, etc. in alcohol. What sort of things did you seek in alcohol?
  1. What, if anything, shocked you about what happens to your body when suffering blackouts?
  1. What’s something about this book, if anything, which helped you in terms of your own recovery?
  1. If you had written this book, share something helpful you would have added to it.

I’ll hop back on here later with my answers. Have to go make Halloween treats right now.

I rate it a 4. It was a page turner, and I gained new insights about myself from the book.

1. Well technically I drank for any and ever reason. Things got more n more difficult for me, especially after my parents divorced after 28 years of marriage. Itsvlike my life has been divided into 2 parts…before and after their divorce. It was ugly. They’re both dead now. I tried to drink away pain. I drank to avoid grief. I drank to be less anxious. I wanted a way out of my own life.
  1. It scared me really bad when I read the part about blood alcohol usually being around 3.2 to blackout. I’ve drivin many times in blackouts. I don’t know how I’m alive. The part about the hippocampus shutting down freaked me out. Idk why I never read up on actually wth happened to my body during blackouts. I’m an information junkie, but never looked into it. Maybe if I’d known that I kinda stuff it would’ve been an eye opener. Doubt it, but maybe.
  1. I reflected A LOT about my own behavior. To this day it’s easy to minimize how insane I had gotten. Reading about the author’s experiences made me look at myself and again admit I’m an alcoholic. At times I was stopped in my tracks and just wept.
  1. I would’ve added information about the dangers of mixing my daily psychotropic meds with alcohol. I would’ve added a chapter about the serenity prayer.

I suggest The Recovery Book by Al Mooney for November.

1. I sought drunkenness. I absolutely loved the physical effects of alcohol. Even the hangovers in some sick way. I wasn’t drinking to escape, I was drinking to enhance (or so I thought). In the end I had no power. I had to drink and use drugs bc for me there was nothing else.

Now that no joke is something I’ve never heard about … liking hangovers … was it like a proof you had such a great time think like ohhhh I got so wasted, it was epic, blah blah …

It was the whole perverse joy I found in suffering. I was never the type to swear off drinking bc of a hangover. I just resolved to drink more.

2 Likes

@happyfeet @Snowflake @MeCarrieB
Any input??

Sorry @SweetTea … didn’t finish the book due to crazy shift schedule. I’m a bit low at the moment too. So tried to focus on long walks and being busy. Couldn’t focus on reading as my mind was all over the place. But reading your discussion made me try to get the focus back on it. 2 weeks working and then finally I’ll be off for a 2 weeks holiday. Really can’t wait. Don’t delete me from your book club list. I love being part of it and i will be more into it soon.

1 Like

@SweetTea sorry I am a bit behind :blush:, I still have 30 pages to go and I will leave my feedback then…

1 Like