Geeks Assemble! SciFi Thread

Mr. Robot isn’t actually science fiction. It’s about a group of hackers. But it is very psychological and the show just gets better and better. It’s pretty exciting, once you get into it and the characters just get stranger and stranger. I’d be interested to hear what you think about it, after a few episodes @Yoda-Stevie

I will check it out, and give you my impressions. Did you watch Fortitude? Loved season 1. Season 2 was Ok.

Yes. I really loved season 1. I think I plowed through it in 2 days. Missed season 2 altogether.

Any other fans of X-Files on here? I haven’t seen it mentioned on the thread.

My favorite show of all time, from the times where I would sneak-watch it after bedtime when I was a kid, to my rediscovery of it during college. I have watched the series from start-to-end on 4 occasions. 202 (original run) episodes is a lot to get through.

4 Likes

Was a huge fan back in the day. Started rewatching it a few years back, but lost interest as there were too many other shows (Stargate, BSG, Star Trek: Enterprise) that had my attention, and only so much time. That was also back in my drinking days. Sober me has even less time, and I have a no-tv Sunday evening to Friday evening rule, so even less time.

Haven’t seen any of the revival series either. Have you?

3 Likes

No doubt. It got super rushed in the last season and had been damn good otherwise.

There’s some reddit post from a guy who worked on marketing at Fox when Firefly was launched. He commented how serials like those were still kind of new. How networks didn’t know how to handle them right. For example, airing what they thought was the strongest tested episode out of order as the pilot was standard practice for stuff like sitcoms. :confused:

We had an X-Files watching group in college, getting together a few nights a week to order pizza, hang out, and go back through them all. It took us a couple years, I think.

Really enjoyed the new seasons, too. The episode When Tech Attacks is an amazing piece of Scifi everyone should see, even if not X-Files fans.

2 Likes

Meeee :wink::grin: Often this series scared me but I loved it anyway :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I wish I had been older than I was when it first aired. I was 5 in '93 when it began, but I vividly remember frequently clicking on the TV in my room after “lights out” to watch it, usually getting scared by it.

I have seen the revival, both seasons. They were both kinda “meh” in my book. You know how the show has two episode types? Some deal with the continuous storyline of the series (the “mythology” episodes), and some are more like stand-alone episodes? On the revival seasons, the main storyline episodes weren’t great, but the stand-alone ones were pretty good. There were plenty of points where it felt to me like they were trying too hard to be relevant and modern. These seasons were also very over-produced, felt very cinematic…that’s just kind of how shows are made these days, though…that’s a personal gripe, since I think the 90s graininess of the original run is part of its charm.

The only thing I haven’t seen from the series is the 2nd movie, from 10 yrs back or so. I was 15/20 mins in, and Xzhibit (yes, of “Pimp My Ride” fame) shows up. I knew immediately I could not take this film seriously and shut it off. Maybe someday.

1 Like

Sounds awesome! My dogs are the only ones who will watch it with me these days :sweat_smile:

I thought the revival was hit-or-miss. I did like the stand-alone episodes way more than the main storyline episodes. Specifically, the “trash man” episode from season 10, and the “Mr. Chuckleteeth” episode from the most recent revival season. Reminded me of the older episodes.

1 Like

Haha, me too! Many nights as a child where I would sneakily turn on my TV when I was supposed to be asleep. I would wind up scared and end up not sleeping at all!

1 Like

I was always more of a fan of the stand-alones. I was active-duty during the run of the first series, and would miss episodes. No problem on the stand-alones but the others I was left to figure out why something was happening… had to wait for summer reruns to fill in the gaps.

1 Like

Sweet spot with the X files :slight_smile:
Read the replies and like that’s it.
Rewatched it once a while back but as @Yoda-Stevie mentioned (too much on the table , esspecialy since I rewatch Star trek from TNG to DS 9 as therapy :slight_smile: )
@MrCade watched the first season didn’t manage further but I really liked it !
Is it still good ?

1 Like

It just keeps getting bigger & better

1 Like

Awesome, when I get back or find a way here I am gonna dive in deep !

Can’t wait to see what’s going on with The Expanse and Altered Carbon I think was the name
Yup Altered Carbon.

Ooof Farscape now comes to mind.

1 Like

We’re CR buddies!!!

Welcome to the Mighty Nein!

1 Like

Howdy, Critter! :smiley:

Altered Carbon man, reminded me of some old sci fi I read … Some shows even if they are not that good I watch them and I ride the wave , kinda going trough that world…

Listen to this , my mushy brain. Like you mentioned travelers and I get an email from Netflix Travelers S3 is coming. I was like man they are tracking me. Hahahaha and a sec later back to reality dude and started laughing.

Did anyone see Ender’s Game the movie ?
I taught it was quite good, the book is really nice but didn’t expect the will be too?

1 Like

I loved Ender’s Game, very good movie

2 Likes

Heck yeah ! Would recommend the book highly.
It was really weird seeing the movie, my sister told me like you know that book you were droning about, the movie came out. I was expecting some really really watered down lemonade but actually it was quite good.

2 Likes