Geeks Assemble! SciFi Thread

If Game of Thrones counts as Sci-fi then I can talk for DAYS . Best show ever made!

3 Likes

Now you’re just getting me all excited for Ready Player One.

Dr Who is amazing, but was really hard when David Tennant regenerated , i really liked him !
The new Star Trek Discovery was well desereved after,in my opinion,a crappy Enterprise

2 Likes

David Tennant was the best doctor! But I must admit Matt Smith won my heart pretty quickly. I was REALLY disappointed in Peter Capaldi. He was too grumpy. The doctor is child like and carefree and whimsical. Made me sad and miss Matt.

2 Likes

Spot on, i do like Capaldi but the series got a bit darker somehow,not the ussual dark but … Wibbly wobbly time thingy

2 Likes

I actually liked Enterprise. I thought they did a pretty good job of reconciling with The Original Series. TNG, DS9, Voyager, all had the luxury of coming after ToS, so they had more freedom to “build ON something”. Enterprise had to start from zero, and “build TO something”. Much more restrictive if you ask me, because Star Trek fans demand orthodoxy when it comes to “Canon Law”.

I especially liked how Enterprise dealt with the Vulcans, and the Andorians. Their take on the ToS “Mirror Darkly” episodes was genius, IMHO.

1 Like

haha exactly. Too dark. And I still miss Matt. Humf (arms folded, pout inserted here)

Ok…I do like the “new Doctors” since the series was relaunched in the 2000’s, especially David Eccelston and those who have come since…but whose the “best”? For me it will be Tom Baker, the Fourth Doctor. No question for me.

Since the TV series was actually launched the year I was born, I’ve always connected whichever Doctor was present during those pivotal periods of my live. I am sure that is the same for every fan. So for me, it will always be Tom Baker. I came of age in the 1980’s, and Tom Baker was right there with me.

dw_-_fourth_doctor_1_2632

4 Likes

I was bummed when they canceled Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Summer Glau is a great actress, and can’t catch a break.

1 Like

You know what, i will rewatch Enterprise.
Never saw the original Doctor Who series , that will be ony list. Sarrah Connor i didnt watch, is it better than what wad Caprica for Galactica ?

1 Like

I didn’t care for Caprica at all. Took them too long to connect to BSG. Sarah Conner Chronicles had all kinds of connections to T2, the point where the story picks up.

I thought DS9 was the weakest of the Star Trek spin-offs, because for most of it they are stuck on a station that doesn’t go anywhere. Wasn’t until the whole war with the Dominion story arch that it rose to the same level as the other series. But I still watched it.

I found the pilot/1st episode on YouTube not long ago and tried to watch it - such terrible effects and acting, but it was fun to reminisce.

Pilot to what?

True, i liked DS9 but not as nearly as TNG or Voyager.
I cant say that Voyager is better but i really really liked the concept of being stranded in the Delta Q. Survival and journey home.
TNG is TNG

1 Like

Ah…Ultra Man. Yes, terrible special effects. Guys in rubber suits fighting guys in other rubber suits. But to this kid, it was pure gold. When we lived in Japan, my son discovered it on the Japanese TV channels (the armed forces network on had one channel). We lived off-base in the community, so no American cable. He absolutely LOVED Ultra Man. You could get the toys in the off-base toy stores. When he moved back to the states, he was the kid with all the really cool Ultra Man toys. Still loves the show. Bought the entire English version on DVD. Now he and my daughter watch it together. Magic passed from father to son, brother to sister.

2 Likes

True. I’m sure that -if we make contact one day- the first communication will be math-based.

I had athe huge crush on J. Spader after that movie :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m a huuuuge scifi fan, at work they just call me Spock (although I’m female lol).
I’ve watched everything from Star Trek, love documentaries about everything Alien or Space related.
One day I want to visit Peru (Puma Punku) to see that with my own eyes.

1 Like

yes, I was replying to the Ultra Man post…

1 Like

I grew up watching the original series when Leonard nimoy died I went on this crazy binge and rewatched the whole series in a week. I’m also a huge fan of the next generation!
And then Carrie fisher died!!! (I know star trek and star wars are different but I grew up on both) I was so heart broken!!!