Off topic. Son's best friend left school

My son is 6. His best friend at school moved to a different school with no warning a week ago. They were very close. I’ve explained to him that his friends parents wanted him to move and he will still see him once a week at the after school activity they both still attend. He has other good friends so on the surface he’s OK. However he struggles to show when he is feeling sad and has not wanted to talk about it. Am I overthinking this or should I do more to help him? The loss I have experienced in my past is part of the reason I used to drink. So i’m conscious I may be projecting my own feelings on him, and he may actually be OK with this. Any advice would be welcomed. Even if its just to tell me I’m overthinking this. Thanks x

You are overthinking it. He’s 6. Many many more things like this will happen to him. Just let him know you’re there for him. Kids are resilient.

1 Like

I definitely think you are overly concerned. Kids are quite resilient. Look, I’m 52. I couldn’t name anyone from my Kindegarten or 1st grade class…well, except Jodi. I thought Jodi was the most beautiful girl in the world, my limited experience at that age notwithstanding…but I digress.

This is a teachable moment though. It is a good time to explain that he will have tons of friends throughout his life, some for a short time, and others for much longer. Also, you might want to note to him that while he may miss his friend, at least your son is staying at his school, where he has other friends. His best friend is going to a new school, and will have to make all new friends, and it’s hard being the “new kid”. Your son can continue to be a good friend to his friend by letting him know that no matter what happens at the new school, your son will be his friend, and he can hold on to that.

Then let him work it out. He’ll be fine.

1 Like