OK...here goes

I am doing well. Still using the lozenges. Only relapsed once when I was on the road for work and ran out them. Bought a can but tossed it as soon as I got home and could get more.

I think you are right. Determination to quit is everything. The patches, gums, and lozenges are aids to that. I don’t consider myself “quit” as I am still using nicotine, and will for another 2-3 weeks, but I am off tobacco. Once I go to zero lozenges, I’ll consider that day one, and start counting from there.

I wish you success. Don’t stop trying. Nicotine is way too much underestimated, it is a very tough path. Goodluck.

1 Like

When I was in the process of quitting smoking, I had a few spells of using the lozenges…thy definitely kept the nicotine craving alive…which was the true addictive substance, not the tobacco…but it is all part of the process. It was a real rough ride quitting nicotine, but I would continue to quit after relapses and just kept pushing forward. At my final quit I took Wellbutrin for about 90 days…I slept like hell and could barely poop, but I was off the cigarettes. There were a lot of changes to my routine I had to switch up…smoking is so ritualized…the association of driving and smoking was one of the worst. I was still drinking then, so that was rough as well.

It can be done…just keep quitting, it will stick. Peppermint Lifesavers are literally that as well.

1 Like

@Yoda-Stevie @SassyRocks
Hi so I’m a pack a day smoker 20+ years. Never really considered to quit until last week. Smoked my last cig on Friday night. I’m cold turkey in it at 40 hours right now. Feeling ok with bouts of energy then tired. Hard cravings at the 20 hour mark. I’m just a little anxious. Does it get much worse from here? Did I really want to quit in the first place? Now what?

2 Likes

I used smokeless tobacco for my nicotine fix. Some people, like my wife, can just quit and that’s it. She found out we were expecting, and was done.

Me? I used lozenges to step down my nicotine dependence, because cold turkey was brutal for me. What I did was follow the instructions to the letter, which meant every 2 hours, then 3, 4, 6, 8, and several weeks later I was able to just stop.

The first few weeks nicotine free, I craved when I woke, and after a meal, but this was managed with cinnamon gum.

If you are 40 hours in and managing, awesome. If you get stressed, it helps to have something to get you through the craving, like gum.

2 Likes

Oh man, bless you, I know it can be rough.

I highly recommend sugar free life savers and a lot of them. Cinnamon gum sounds yummy as well. Walks were super helpful for me, as was running. If I was going stir crazy with a craving hitting the road for a short run helped a lot.

You can do it!! You are doing great!!

3 Likes

Hi Emily, there’s a thread here you may find helpful:

Take care love and never give up. You’re a good person who deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self.

1 Like

I quit smoking 3 years after getting sober. In all my attempts, I found the tipping point was 72 hours. Once past that, the physical craving gets better.

I tried lots of methods, all the nicotine replacement modalities (except vaping, but if existed back then I would have tried it) and Welbutrin. What finally worked for me was 1. Not being able to take a puff without going into a coughing fit, 2. Chantix which is not for everyone and 3. The steps of AA applied to nicotine. I found I used smoking and stimulation to handle anger, so I had to come up with a new strategy there.

Good Luck, Emily. :pray:

2 Likes