Old man looking for new life!

I have just made it passed 60 days and I am just baffled at times when my own family wants to throw me under the bus about my sobriety,
I have not had 60 days clean in over a decade.
But I am really determined as a 52 year old addict to know what it feels like to have some years of clean time in my life!
I am encouraged one day at a time, and I find strength in rooms like this!
It has not been easy, I quit smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol and drugs all at the same time!
I had been using since the age of 16 years old
I hear the stories of some who reach that one year and think to myself that it is possible for me too.
Excited and tired at the same time, but yet I am encouraged to continue this new journey!
Thanks for listening

31 Likes

Hi there! Well done for your 60 days and more :tada:
My doc is alcohol and I’m more then 1 year sober now. You definitely can do that too!
I’m here every day and that helps me a lot!
I’m almost 52 just like you, but not consider myself as old :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Keep on trucking! :facepunch:

18 Likes

Good for you on your 60 days!! I know it can be challenging to recreate your life after 50 (I am coming up on 59), especially after drinking and drugs for more than 40 years, but it can be done. I never thought I would be able to stop I tried and couldn’t do it so many times. But bit by bit it added up and I learned what worked and what didn’t for me.

Family isn’t always so supportive in the beginning. A lot of times because they have heard us say we wanted change b4 and seen us not change. Keeping my focus on myself and my sobriety helped me show my family over time that I could and did change. And helped me gain confidence and peace of mind.

Keep moving forward and welcome!!

13 Likes

im 67 and im still young

16 Likes

Am 59. 5 days sober. Was 14 years sober. 10 years ago I decided I was healed. Oh how wrong I was. In last 3 months I have quit smoking, 86 days, 23 days no diet Cokes, 6 a day. And no alcohol 5 days. To many drinks to count a day. Have not told any friends I have quit drinking. Found it’s better that way. They haven’t even noticed. Because? They are just drinking friends. Not good friends.

9 Likes

(I thought the same thing at 60 here! Hmmph!)

2 Likes

Old?! Old?!
At 52, young man what are you on about. I’m 52 and I’m not old! Celebrating a year sober my friend and loving it. :rofl::rofl:
Good for you to make this happen.

12 Likes

I quit at age 51. I’ll hit 2 years sober in a couple of weeks. There’s never a bad time to start getting better. Better begins with sober, and sober I can make the most of every day. Even if the Lord takes me tomorrow, I will leave a sober legacy.

Screw what family and friends think about you living sober. It’s your life, and you only get one.

12 Likes

I’m 52 and starting my sober journey. I’m feeling refreshed, not old. We have many good years ahead of us.

6 Likes

Thank you Lisa. Looking great for an "old " girl! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

The devil is old! Good going friend. 54 years here and sober and clean and smober (not smoking) for the first time in 40 years. Cleaning up our acts I am sure we got some excellent years ahead of us @Tink5162. Happy to see you here. We do it together. Strength in numbers. Thanks for joining!

5 Likes

I got sober just short of my 45th birthday. I was older then than I am now, for sure. At the time I got sober, I had 9 months dry once, and maybe a month dry four or five times since the age of 10. When I picked up my 10 month chip, I was overwhelmed, knowing that was the longest continuous sobriety I’d had in three and a half decades.

I am sober since I woke up this morning. I was sober yesterday and the days before that. I will be sober when my head hits the pillow tonight and I have a plan for tomorrow. Years of clean time, and seeing friends die from relapse and from cancer and just wearing out has taught me that everything is NOW. This is the moment we have. And it is beautiful and it is enough.

Blessings on your house :pray: as you start your journey.

7 Likes

50 years young here! I call it fresh start 50!! I will be 11 months on the 24th and I feel better than I have in years!! No looking back now. Keep up the good work-it’s so worth it!

4 Likes

Thank you much!

60 here. Never to late. Just get it done.

2 Likes

That’s a great point, especially since I’ve drank off and on since I was 15! (60 y o).
I say (to myself) that it’s not cool anymore, lol…

3 Likes

Thanks for having me

1 Like

I am 53 and will have 6 months sober this Tuesday. If I can do it you can! The Old Man characterization stings a bit, better “life veteran” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there. 60 y/o. Still young, my opinion. 23 days. Very happy, those days are mine. Never had so many since my last 2 months. Same here nobody knows, only my girlfriend. Taking one day at the time, going to many meetings as I can. Keeping myself busy. Controlling my emotions to the best of my abilities.
This is just like sharing at a meeting, it does help.
Thanks for let me share.

4 Likes