One week down! But sleep?!?!?!

When does sleep get better?!?! I’m lucky to sleep 2hrs each day which is killing me more than anything else! Especially when running around with 3 active kiddos lol

7 Likes

I can’t remember when I started to get better sleep after being sober. I do know that I get less sleep, but it is better sleep. I just have too much extra energy to fall asleep early.
Congrats on the 1st week.

2 Likes

For me it can be anywhere from a week to three months. This last time I regulates pretty quickly. I did use a pretty high dose of melatonin at first. Keeping a normal routine will help too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I need to keep a regular schedule too for sleep. Make it a priority. Do things to calm down… lavender…read… meditate…I take magnesium and that helps me. Let the stress go. Congrats on your 1st week!

3 Likes

Bless you with 3 little ones!! And great job on your week. I hope your sleep improves. The magnesium for sleep is magnesium glycinate I find it helpful with my sleep. I have also read that drinkers are often deficient in magnesium.

5 Likes

It takes a couple weeks for the body to regulate sleep again. I use melatonin and it helps me to get to sleep and stay asleep.

3 Likes

Itll happen thats all I can say. If not I cherish late night tv/video games/thinking. Its me time I was missing for many years.

1 Like

It’s been about 6 weeks for me and I’m only now starting to sleep better.
Also for me, magnesium works better than melatonin, at least I feel more rested on it and don’t wake up groggy the next day.
Well done on your first week!!! :star_struck::hugs:

3 Likes

Maybe try getting some form of (enjoyable) exercise in each day. Studies show regular exercise helps with sleep.
Don’t look at anything electronic (TV, phone) for at least an hour before bed. If you enjoy reading books, that can be a good before-bed alternative.
My last suggestion is super random but it works for me. I have an anxiety brain that just loves to kick in when I go to bed. If I start overanalyzing myself and my day, it’ll keep me awake for hours. So I play a little word game with myself. I pick a subject and go through the alphabet and name something for each letter. Pick a easy subject that doesn’t require too much thinking, like “animals”. Alligator, bear, cat, dog, elephant etc etc. For X I just use something with X in it, like fox, because nothing starts with X. If you get stuck on a letter, just move on.
It relaxes my brain, and now that I’ve been doing it for awhile sleepiness has become a pavlovian response. As soon as I think “A is for…” I start to yawn (literally just yawned writing that down :upside_down_face:).
Like I said, super random but may be worth a try!

4 Likes

Ooooh I like this!!! I’ll try this tonight! :grin:

My brain is on constant overdrive so i try and listen to sleep stories on YouTube… there’s a particular youtuber called softly spoken, if I think of her intros I automatically feel relaxed and sleepy :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh! I also like winding down to guided sleep meditations. Check it out…

Guided meditations - sleep and other

2 Likes

I have had trouble for years getting comfortable. Started taking magnesium supplements and it has helped tremendously.

2 Likes

Sometimes if I have a hard time sleeping I take melatonin…it is a natural supplement and works well for me during stressful times.

1 Like

I’m at Day 40 and I struggled with the major sleep issues very recently. I was staying up until like 4am and only getting like 3-4 hours a night for the first few weeks. It was brutal and I felt absolutely horrible.

For myself the sleeplessness subsided by about week 4 but it’s taken ACTIVE retraining of my circadian rhythm. I’ve just now, at day 40, regained most normalcy.

I did everything I could, including: waking at a consistent time (regardless of time I went to bed), improving my sleep environment (reducing light/phone and white noise machine), addressing sinus concerns (air quality and nasal strips), as well as supplementing magnesium glycinate (as mentioned above by @Bheff). I’m now sleeping much better but there’s still room for improvement.

It also has to be said these Covid lockdowns can’t be helpful for normal sleep, either.

2 Likes

I am on day 33 and am now finally sleeping better. Up until now I was waking up almost every morning around 2 or 3 and couldn’t fall back to sleep for a couple hours. That was difficult but I took it one night at a time! It’s our bodies adjusting to no alcohol!

4 Likes