One year today but a rough day

I’m one year sober today and I’m vary grateful but my mom is going to pass away any minute and I’m so grief-stricken and feeling all the emotions :cry:

25 Likes

Sorry to hear about your mom being so close to leaving this world always remember youll have her there in your heart, its ok to just let the tears flow. Glad to know that you made it to a year of sobriety hold on to what we have dearly for the day will surely come when its our time. :pray:God Bless you

8 Likes

I have you both in my prayers :hugs:
Thinking of you during this time x
1 year sober is brilliant, keep going, and remember were here for you x

4 Likes

Congrats on one year! Let the emotions come and go, sorry they are tough ones. Substances won’t make it better. Stay the course and hang with loving friends and family. Better days are on the way. :hugs:

3 Likes

I’m feeling with you, it’s tough and double sad when a loved one leaves around christmas. I pray for both of you and light a candle. You are not alone. We are here for you :yellow_heart:
Congratulations on one year :hugs:
May the strenght you got through it help to carry the grief and help let go. Your mum will always be in your heart.

3 Likes

First congrats on your one year!!! Feel the emotions, don’t hide from them they aren’t going anywhere unless you do deal with them. Remember you are able to be there for her and have this time with her and the last year because you are sober. :heart: You and your mom are in my prayers.

1 Like

That’s hard and I understand the feeling. My mom passed away 16 years ago of cancer. I was with her when she died and holded her hand. It was a very sad moment. But now all those years later it’s also a moment that has a special place in my heart.
I hope I can explain it right because English is not my native language.
You are there for your mother now: clean and sober. You can be there for here 100%.
The downside as you may call it is that your emotions and feelings are there as well 100% and they are kicking in. It is much, I know it is but it’s good to feel them. I know the old habit of covering them up with drinking of using is there. It’s normal that when feelings are this intense old ways come up trying to “help”. You need your toolbox now even more then ever. What helped you before when cravings occur? Walking, talking, eating sweets?
You where sober for a whole year, so you know the “drill” but are overwhelmed by feelings. It’s good to come up here. Venting helps and gets your thoughts lined up. Venting is a part of my toolbox and probably one of yours too.

Keep going for yourself and for your mom.
Make her proud. Make yourself proud.
Prepare yourself for a difficult time to come. Grief is difficult but when doing sober you are processing it better and faster. When drinking ore using we’re not processing, we are stuck.

I’m lighting a candle for you and your mom.
Hope you will have some good time left with her. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that you are going through this Dan. Losing your mother is a very hard thing to go through. I’m sending love to you and you and your family are in my prayers. Stay strong, we are here with you every step! God bless you :pray:t2::two_hearts::pensive:

2 Likes

What complicated feelings! You have a right to be proud of yourself, but also need to give yourself time and space to feel sad. It may be hard, but ultimately better to deal with feelings sober.

2 Likes

I am so very sorry. Thinking about you in this sad and challenging time. Honor your Mom by not drinking. This is a wonderful community here. Stay here for support and care.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your Mum , over the years ive been sober my Dad and Mum passed on and my three brothers and lifting a drink wont help ,be strong do whats right and im sure your mum will be proud of you wish you well

6 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. :heart: Sending strength to you. Grief can be a challenging feeling when you love and care so deeply for someone. :heart: And tho it hurts, it is a testament to your bond.

Congratulations on your year, that is a lot to be proud of and I hope you allow your continued sobriety to help you through this painful time with strength and clarity. Big hugs. :heart:

5 Likes

I’m very sorry to you are experiencing this horrible pain. :hugs: I know it may seem that numbing that pain would be helpful but it is not. All it does is postpone the pain and add another pain of relapsing on top of it. You worked hard for you one year and you deserve to keep moving forward in your sober journey and better life. :heart:

2 Likes

I want to thank you guys for your support, advice and prayers. My mom did pass away on the 20th and I wasn’t sure i was going to be able to maintain my sobriety but thanks in large part to this amazing group of warriors and time with my son my dog and actually facing my emotions I was able to remain sober. I’m vary thankful that for the last year of my moms life I was sober and will do my best to continue.

10 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. This reminds me that being sober and in the moment is very important. I am so proud of you!

3 Likes

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

1 Like

I read about your 1year sobriety and your Mum’s passing with mixed feelings.It took me back to when my Dad died of a stroke 3 years ago.I got to spend the last few days at his bedside,but it is with great regret,sadness and shame that l admit l was drinking most of that time to ‘cope’ with my grief.l would give anything to be able to go back and be sober.I’m so grateful that you decided not to drink on your grief.l admire your strength.lm sure your Mum would be so proud of you! Good on you,and l pray that you are still going strong now in her honour.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry about the loss of your mom, that must be so hard. I’m proud of you for staying sober! Congratulations on one year.

3 Likes

So sad to hear of your mothers passing, im sure she would he so proud of you for being strong and sober in her absence. We are all glad to hear you didnt result to a drink to help get you through the pain. Losing loved ones is a tough life changing experience, but the pain is a great teacher, we learn to endure, persevere, and to focus on the important things. Greatful to have you here with us sharing your story, thank you and God Bless.

1 Like