Online sponsor

IS it possible to get an online sponsor? Are there rules around this? Just curious because I’m going through really hard times right now which makes maintaining sobriety a real challenge, so I could really use some help. I am not involved in AA because I don’t agree with some of the beliefs.

Good question. I would also be interested in an online sponsor. Also going thru a very challenging time.

1 Like

@Mephistopheles there’s a lot I just don’t personally like about AA. For one, I struggle to believe in a higher power. There are other reasons but they are personal.

Rules…not really…i would say be active here, and you will probably find someone that you can talk to one on one. However, there is just something about meeting someone face to face. If not AA…there are a lot of other programs out there you could try.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll have to learn more about it perhaps.

Though I do not sponsor anyone online I would gladly help answer any questions you may have about the 12 steps

2 Likes

I dont agree with any of AA’s religiosity. Don’t care what they say about it being spiritual, not religious - anything that promotes prayer to a God is religious, no matter how you try a d spin it.

No invisible man in the sky helped me get sober. It was my own willingness and the help of my friends in AA.

With all that said, I still support AA heavily. The program works, and all references to a divine entity can easily be morphed into practical application, sans The Holy Spirit.

For example, the 12 steps, secularized:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol – that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to accept, and to understand, that we needed knowledge and resources beyond our current awareness to restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to commit to the suggestions of the A.A. program.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to ourselves, and to another human being, the exact nature of our mistakes.

6. Were ready to accept help in letting go of all our defects of character.

7. Humbly sought to have our shortcomings removed.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through inquiry and meditation to improve our awareness, seeking only for knowledge of our rightful path in life and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a sober awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Go to meetings. Get online and find your local meeting list. Every AA Intergroup maintains one. You likely have an agnostics meeting in town. Make friends, and find people with time in sobriety, who make sense to you and ask one to sponsor you and work through the steps.

4 Likes