Other cravings (food/ sugar)

Starting out new over and over, but know that I’m going to make it, I have to. My question is, when I don’t have alcohol, all other cravings get really strong. Good food, or Diet Coke! Strong coffee. Do I let myself have those at first to get through?

4 Likes

Well you get to decide for yourself :heart: For myself, I definitely indulged my cravings for sweet things and enjoyed baking up a storm. I also indulged my craving for movement. I tackled the sugar monster after maybe a year and a half of sobriety. I say do what works for you.

4 Likes

During the first month of my sobriety, I craved sweets and I didn’t limit them either. I figured it was better than the alternative and just went with it.

3 Likes

Hi. Yes. I was told by people here your body craves the sugars when you first stop drinking and to not worry about it. I’m now 3+ months in and I’m not craving sugar as much … though I do indulge in food more now that I’m no longer drinking. I appreciate your raising the topic as it helps me learn too from people who have more experience.

3 Likes

I put honey on my hotdog today. This ain’t my first rodeo, eat the sweets you can work it off later. Oh yeah and bunch of ice cream today as well.

5 Likes

Actually, believe it or not, coffee can help your liver :grinning: :

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I can’t get enough sugar since I quit. I’ve always had a sweet tooth but it is on overdrive. Glad to hear that may pass.

Found this article on sugar cravings after quitting alcohol. https://gogetsober.com/blogs/blog/what-to-do-about-sugar-cravings-when-you-stop-drinking

I say indulge anything other than the cravings for your DOC, early on. Once things even out, you can take stock.
For me, my diet is SO much better since I stopped drinking. I have a much better relationship with food. I eat more than I did before, and (after a few weeks of huge sugar cravings indulged by coffee and cake at around 5pm) I eat a lot healthier than I did before. I’ve lost about 10kg without feeling hungry at any point. Previously I would skip meals to allow me to drink without gaining (too much) weight. Not clever, on reflection.
Not drinking has given me the clarity of thought to sort a few things like this out. I love it. I have heard sobriety described as a gateway drug to personal well-being. I really see it this way.

1 Like

Really love this, thank you for sharing.

1 Like