Ouuueee feeling amazing but quick question

Been feeling great like staying busy focusing on sobriety but it’s always on my mind will this thought or feeling ever go away or is it a struggle for me for the rest of my life… my son turns 9 on thursday this will my first celebration of his birthday solber and I feel great and most definitely wouldn’t let that be my slip but I just really want to no

Is it a forever thought or will I have a day were it doesn’t cross my mind ?

4 Likes

For me, the focus changed. In the beginning, it was 100% of my focus. I was in drunk prevention mode all the time. Now, its more like a daily checkin with myself…if that makes sense.

8 Likes

Happy birth day to you both!!

In my experience (I am 3 and a half years sober), the thought of drinking rarely crosses my mind anymore. Once I got to around 2 years, a little before, it just is not something that comes up for me, and if it did or does, it passes quickly. I drank for 40+ years…so I am pretty pleased!! :heart:

6 Likes

Yes!! It definitely will not be gnawing at you everyday. You’re changing a habit and that takes time. For me it doesn’t anyway. It’s just something I used to do too much, lol, and now I don’t. Keep it simple sweetie!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart::kissing_heart::heart:

4 Likes

Are you having a little party for your son? That’s a good age; still likes having fun with mom, lol. I remember when my son decided it wasn’t cool to hang out with mom when he was preteen…I was heartbroken!!:disappointed_relieved::laughing:
Btw, I’m EXTREMELY proud of you!!

3 Likes

As @Thirdmonkey says, at first it was constantly on my mind because I needed it to be there.
Focused 100% of the time on not drinking. It’s what it took.
Now 650 days later not so much. I know I’m a non drinker and that’s that.
I definitely don’t constantly think about it.
Around the 6-9 month mark if I remember rightly, I suddenly had a thought that I hadn’t been constantly thinking about drinking or not drinking.
How long it takes is entirely down to the individual, I think.
If one constantly laments the lose of that lifestyle. If a change of mindset is not accomplished, I could see the constant fighting with oneself lasting a lot longer.

4 Likes

Yes he still likes mom time haha
He is much happier that I am on days and not midnights anymore as am I
And thanks

1 Like

Thanks I appreciate you sharing and glad to hear it gets easier

1 Like

I’m coming up on 11 months and I don’t think about it every day. I do have a lot going on in my life that keeps my mind very busy. I think the more you change your routine, the better it will get.

1 Like

I’m coming up on 90 days and honestly, drinking rarely comes to mind. When I decided to quit, that was it. No turning back. If you let it consume you, you may let it win. Focus on other things, like the party. Don’t think about a birthday party without alcohol. Think Birthday party with gifts, food and a fun time for your kid.

2 Likes

This depends on you. For me, it quickly changed from a drinker trying to stay sober, to a non-drinker just making the most of each day. I no longer think “I can’t drink, because I am an alcoholic”. Now, I won’t drink, because I don’t drink. I became a non-drinker. I can be around it, see people drink it, and have no temptation or desire to drink it myself.

Alcohol is like voodoo: It only has power over me, if I give it power. The only way I can give it power is to drink it. No drink, no power.

You’ve decided to be better, and every day sober you are better. Keep getting better at getting better, each and every day. Better today than you were yesterday, and tomorrow better still.

3 Likes