Over-eating to replace Alcohol

Hi! I’m 4 days into my journey of sobriety from alcohol but I’m realizing that I’m replacing the drinking with food. I’m definitely over-eating / stress-eating and using unhealthy foods to try to fill that void.

13 Likes

I’m on Day 14 of my journey and I’m having the same struggle. Part of my problem is that I used to see wine as a treat to look forward to at the end of the day and that would motivate me to eat healthier throughout the day. From what I’ve read, it’s pretty common to replace alcohol with food or sugar when trying to go sober. So you’re not alone. Some things that help me are exercise and finding other activities that distract me from focusing on food.

7 Likes

Go easy on yourself, I struggled with this too and still lost weight!!! Your body is used to alcohol which in itself, contains alot of calories. I found powerwalking 50min, twice a day to really help with the emotions that caused the overeating, plus walking burns all kinds of energy and its a great time to listen to sober podcasts or music. I wish you well :yellow_heart:

5 Likes

I did this too in the beginning. I started eating a family sized block of chocolate every night :flushed: and energy drinks in the afternoon :roll_eyes: I let it go for the first 6 months because it was better than drinking but once I started feeling stronger in my recovery I tackled the growing sugar addiction I was developing and now limit how much ‘unhealthy stuff’ I consume.

Maybe try stocking up on healthy alternatives and drinks that you do enjoy so they are on hand instead.
Addiction replacement is very common though, your body and mind is going through a huge adjustment so be kind to yourself. I made a conscious effort to put that addictive energy into exercise to counteract my sweet tooth lol x

9 Likes

I find sucking on mints helps.

3 Likes

@Progress Glad to hear that I’m not alone! Thank you! I, too, also “treated” or rewarded myself with wine or a cocktail. I wish I can continue all those good habits without the incentive of being able to have a drink. It’s definitely an adjustment. :sob:

4 Likes

I’m struggling with this as well! This post is helping me realize that it’s probably a normal part of the process :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@Flower Thank you so much! I definitely want to get outside and do more walking! It’s relaxing and helps to calm my anxiety. I’ll try to schedule time out of my day to get outside for a bit. I wish you well too!

2 Likes

if your going to eat try and make some of it healthy stuff bc 1 you body needs it and 2 you won’t feel so guilty. But the main thing right now is to concentrate on your sobriety. I’ve been eating sooo much in the last year and my clothes don’t fit but I’m sober and as of this week I’m taking action to reduce my weight. Recovery is progress not perfection and I don’t mind gaining a few pounds (OK several :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) to get my sanity back.

6 Likes

@Becsta My snack of choice at the moment is OREOS and I can’t walk by the kitchen without gravitating towards the pack. :laughing: I’ll definitely try to look for healthy but still tasty and satisfying alternatives. It’s definitely a tricky adjustment! Thank you!

3 Likes

Oh that’s a great idea! @Yellow

1 Like

@Pica You’re definitely not alone! I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one and that I can give myself some grace and some patience while I try to find healthier ways to deal with these cravings and need for non-alcohol treats.

3 Likes

@Dolse71 Definitely, you’re so right. I can only manage one day at a time. Maybe I’ll make better eating decisions tomorrow, and then the next day, I may have a bag of Cheetos. And I have to be okay with that because, at the end of the day, I’m staying away from the drinking and that’s still a win. Thank you!

3 Likes

Girl yes! Yesterday I felt the exact same way. It’s all going to even itself out. We got this. I’m making sure to have a variety of healthy snacks ready to eat, like already cut or portioned so I can just grab them instead of grabbing chips or something. Also I started a sobriety journal to document this journey (as not to repeat it) & I’m writing down everything I eat. So in like a month we can both look back & be like wow day three I ate about 10,000 calories lol

3 Likes

@Lashline Hahaha Exactly! Love the journal idea! I’m so hard on myself about everything so before I dive into some intense diet, I’m going to try to make small, gradual changes and give myself a break.

2 Likes

Hi Britdei, After I stopped using nicotine gum I put several whole black peppercorns at a time and use as mints, they can last for hours, just don’t inhale

1 Like

Hi there. Your body is craving the sugar you were getting from the alcohol-for the first few weeks give yourself some grace and just do what you have to do to not pick up. Sobriety is your main focus-everything else at this time is secondary. Eat the damn fries and give yourself a break…you are doing something extraordinary by quitting booze. ODAAT💕

12 Likes

Its fine. Its only day 4, just do whatever gets you through the day sober.

Things will even out.

4 Likes

Hi Britdei, a lot of addicts have got the unfortunate trait of perfectionism.
We set our bar too high, and when things don’t go the way we want, everything comes crashing down!
Good on you for committing to small gradual changes for the better and for giving yourself a break.
I have been judging myself harshly in the mirror all day.

Instead of focussing on the fact that my skin is looking better and my eyes are brighter,l’m looking down at the gut l have accumulated from eating too much chocolate and other crap since Xmas!

Seems like l’ve already forgotten how desperate l was to stop drinking and how badly it was affecting my health and relationships!
This is when the evilness of the addiction creeps in and tells me that l may as well have a drink or two instead of eating junk food!

Well,l’m not letting it get the better of me,not this time!
This time l have TS and ‘consequential thinking’ in my toolbox to help me stay strong.

I know l can drop weight and exercise more much more easily than l can stay sober!

I have 12 days under my very tight belt, so l am not going to forfeit that just to be potentially slimmer.
I will just suck it up and make small gradual changes!
And l will love myself and give my sober self a break!

2 Likes

If over eating is what you need to stay sober, ride it out until you feel confident in your sobriety and you can adjust your diet later. Getting sober is stressful, but it gets easier.

2 Likes