Overcoming Addiction/Heroin through Christ

I was a heroin addict for 3 years and was brought to me knees from the bondage I was in. Homeless and hopeless. I turned to the Lord and cried out to him when I knew he was all I had left. Through his grace and mercy I am drug free today and that’s because I cannot live a successful life without Jesus Christ in my life today. I would like to encourage and empower others and know that there is a life after addiction. I firmly believe that having a personal relationship with our Lord and Savior is imperative for a happy, drug free life!

9 Likes

I go to AA and work the 12 Steps. The 12 steps does talk about having a higher power to rely on. Doesnt have to be jesus, it can be anything you want it to be. It should be loving, caring, and greater that yourself, example would be the universe, the aa group as a whole, nature, anything really. They use the word GOD a lot but thats because its Good Orderly Direction is all.
Everyone that doesnt know about AA thinks its all religious and preachy, but its really not.
If you just stick around long enough, youll notice its more spiritual than religious.
I like the higher power concept honestly. Its helped me get out of self and relize i dont control anything but my attitudes and actions. Im self centered and have an ego a mile long. Its all about me me me lol… Nottttttt, but you get the point here.
And i love the power of prayer! Man has praying helped me! I was in a meeting once and a fellow said, look at all the coincidences in your life. Its a God thing. And i was like thats so true! Just never put it in that term before. I myself have experienced miracles first hand… I was raised to believe in God and Jesus Christ. A lot of people like me, want to rebel and dont believe in God, which its their decision. But it wasnt hard for me to continue to believe, is my point here. So working the Steps for me wasnt all that hard to do. Thank God!
Im really happy for you that youve found your way through help of a higher power. Those of us that get sober are truely miracles in the making…
Thanks for sharing as its not talked about enough on this thread, in my opinion anyways. So thanks!

3 Likes

Amen! I am going to celebrate recovery groups and staying plugged into my local church as my accountability. I firmly believe in the saying “show me your friends and I’ll show you your future”. So I have learned that letting go of those old relationships that are negative can be hard because they may be significant to my life but that doesn’t mean that I hafto seek acceptance through those relationships. I have had a drastic lifestyle change these past 4 and a half months. Getting to know God better each day and also being ok with the person I am today and not having the worry of acceptance through identity. I am still learning a lot. But I have really let go of who I was, a heroin addict and allowed the Lord to show me who I am today and that’s his son. We are all accepted in Gods eyes, and I’ve really grabbed a hold of that. It may sound crazy to say but today I am thankful for the circumstance of addiction that was used by him to bring me closer to him, otherwise I wouldn’t have wanted that personal relationship with the Lord like I do today. He does his best work when you are at your lowest, it brings greater glory to him. He does work in mysterious ways, it’s such a true saying. I fully attribute my sobriety today to his grace and mercy and allowing him to work in my life.

1 Like

Your posts gave me chills! I was on pain killers for many years. Been to 2 rehabs and 2 psych wards. In my last rehab I was given Vivitrol and was on for 8 months. The depths of opiate HELL almost killed me. Finally surrendering my life and will over to God is why I am here today, clean for almost 13 months. I also go to Celebrate Recovery and it has greatly helped me.

3 Likes

God bless AA!

I cringe at the thought of how much longer it would have taken me to find Him, had AA tried to push me to find Him.

Instead they were just like… “come on in, sit down, and relax… it going to be OK. Don’t worry about that right now.”

1 Like

I believe I’m going to have to get right with the good Lord because I’m definitely not winning this battle. Been to one detox center and didn’t work. Had the opportunity to go to a VA rehab and within 5 minutes of being there I was approached by other vets to borrow my truck, asked for cigarettes-don’t smoke and for cash. I was like what is this, I would have to sleep with one eye open there and I just want to get off pain killers that the VA got me started on to begin. I just turned around and left the property…no one noticed until a couple hours later and called on my cell. I’m all about vets and love my brothers and sisters who served in combat as myself but that program wouldn’t do it for me. Ive been in touch with my congressman and they’ll route me to a civilIan facility. At this time I’m completly going to turn it over and pray I get the guidance needed to live life on life’s terms. Thanks for ur post :+1:

1 Like

Wow, amen! All the Glory goes to God. I was on vivitrol once upon a time but I just kept trying to cheat it and eventually fell back into addiction. It truly is only through the Lord that I am sober today. Praise the Father. Thanks for your response. If you ever need to talk or would like to fellowship I’m open!

1 Like