Overcoming vape addiction

hey beautiful folks!! so glad to be 10 days alcohol free. i’m feeling sturdy enough in my sobriety that i feel ready to tackle nicotine. i vape CONSTANTLY. i laid out this beautiful plan for quitting on my vacation in Texas this past weekend, and it simply did not manifest. this is WAY harder than quitting alcohol for me, maybe because it just doesn’t feel as overwhelmingly destructive. but even so, similarly i feel that it’s unacceptable for me to continue. my throat and lungs hurt and i can’t sing as well as i used to. and mentally im not as strong as i could be, because im beholden to this tiny master, and there’s the huge energy drain of living in cognitive dissonance: continuing to do something that i say i don’t want to do. how do i actually get unhooked from this madness?? i really don’t want it in my life anymore. thanks for the support!

7 Likes

It’s hard! That’s for sure!

Can you get rid of all of your vape pens/cartridges?
Can you go to your doctor to get nicotine patches or gum or something to taper down?
Or would you rather stop cold turkey?

When quitting, keep yourself hydrated, not hungry, get plenty of rest, and otherwise busy so you don’t have the time to vape.

Sending encouragement your way :people_hugging::people_hugging::people_hugging: youve got this!

3 Likes

Hey Julia – Well done on the double digits!

I did not vape but did smoke cigarettes heavily for many decades. It was not easy but it can be done.

Some great advice and tricks / tips on the Grumpy quit smoking thread.

a few tips:

• identify why you vape and why you want to quit (may even want to put the quit reasons on notes and carry with you
  • throw away all your vaping products and equipment (i know i would throw out all my lighters and smokes every time i tried and feel really shitty for having to get new ones only to throw those out too but psychologically it prepared me to quit)
  • Use nicotine replacement therapy, such as patches, gums or lozenges (i would chew the same gum for hours as i didn’t want to overdo it with nicotine replacement but needed my mouth to be occupied and my mind to think i was getting a fix)
  • Find alternative coping skills, such as exercise, relations or hobbies
  • avoid triggers and situations that make you want to vape (i would reach for my cigs before my toothbrush in the am – so i put the gum next to my bed and started the day with the gum without thinking about it)
  • consult a medical professional if you need additional support (I did use Chantix the first time around and it did somewhat help but gave me bad nightmares). I did try a hypnotic therapy app that helped me kick the habit for good.

DO NOT GIVE UP - keep trying and i know you have it in you to overcome this addiction.

3 Likes

Nicotine is tough. First attempt, cold turkey, I remember crying uncontrollably for days, which is not like me at all. I didn’t make it very long. A while later I tried switching to vaping, bc at least it smells better. That hurt my lungs sooo much more than anything I’d ever inhaled. Then I tried nicotine pouches. I haven’t smoked anything since Jan '22, but I am still addicted to nicotine. Obviously not great advice here :face_with_diagonal_mouth: but I feel your struggle.

My father smoked 4 packs a day for decades and said he replaced it with nuts and seeds with shells(sunflower, pistachios). He also took up oragami! Things to keep his hands busy. My daughters father switched to gum. He was going through packs a day, but it did work. Hypnosis helped a friend of mine. Another friend, and this one weirds me out, got some kind of laser brain treatment and said she never craved it ever again. Idk about that one though.

The Grumpy smokers thread probably has better advice for you. Good luck :heart:

2 Likes

@Scorpn @JazzyS @JCY @Just_Laura thank you guys so much i really appreciate your feedback :pray:t3::pray:t3: considering how frequently i hit this freakin thing, gum might work for me cuz at least i’m getting some replacement while i shift the lifestyle. might try that. def will be diving into the grumpy a-holes thread too lol :smiling_face::smiling_face:

2 Likes

You can do it! Set a date and stick to it. Throw out all your vapes. Get gum, straws, mints to ease the mental stress.

Join us over here too

3 Likes