Pain meds and surgery

So I recently had some surgical procedures under the care of a physician in which they gave me pain medicine. Pain medicine needed under the controlled environment of a doctor for surgical procedures is not a relapse. It is necessary. I struggled with these things for quite some time. But I did not seek more than needed. Etc… My two cents

3 Likes

I’d say dental as well…

2 Likes

Hi Travis,

I’m curious, did someone tell you not to take them? I agree, pain meds are a necessity at times, especially after surgery which I’ve had several. Yes, I’ve heard a few people comment to toss all pain meds after surgery, get them out of your house, etc. But when your doctor is aware that you’re recovering and you are prescribed them, they should be taken as directed.

Please don’t listen to the ones that tell you to suffer, I have heard that here, and I try to ignore it, but it can be overwhelming like I’m not good enough to be here if I’m not following them. You do you, stay strong my friend and I wish you the best!

2 Likes

I have major back issues and have been prescribed pain meds. I take one once a week or month if really needed. I’ve never had an issue with those and can take them as needed. My issue is with alcohol and my recovery is from alcohol. I don’t really care if someone else doesn’t approve of my path. I’m doing this for me and my family, not them.

5 Likes

If doc prescribes thats fine

2 Likes

Oh my uncle says Dr are just legal drug dealers … Etc… Tried to make me feel guilty… But I really could care less what anyone else says it is my recovery not Thiers lol

3 Likes

If your prescribed them and your in pain that is what you need.
If you find yourself mis using them then seek help straight away. Pain meds work differently when somone actually has pain and takes them, to if they take them when they dont have pain.
You do whats right for you and your dr thinks is right too. None of us are drs here ( if there are some there not your dr ).

3 Likes

I agree with this. Just remember, if you ever feel yourself craving them or think you should take more than prescribed or more often, take a step back and examine what is really going on. Be honest with yourself. If you have a wife or partner or parent or someone who lives with you that you completely trust, you can possibly give them the pills and have them administer them as prescribed.

3 Likes

And you really listen to that wacky nutcracker ? :joy:

As said above, there’s a difference between using and abusing.

1 Like

If you have a problem with pills or opiates etc DO NOT take them. Period. Would you take Jack Daniel’s if your doctor prescribed booze? Some stupid mentality.

I had surgery a few years ago. My Doctor prescribed 35 pills for pain. Really what they did was help me sleep. It was the ibuprofen that helped the pain. I went back to my doctor for my six week check up and he asked if I needed two or three more refills? WTF? I only took half of the original because I felt myself craving them.

My neighbor is a surgeon and she says study after study says ibuprofen is equally effective at pain management. I tend to agree. I switched to ibuprofen for pain after my surgery and it worked great especially when I had to go to physical therapy. Plus I didn’t have that dope fog the prescription drugs gave me.

My problem is Alcohol but I could feel my body getting addicted just after two weeks. If you already have a problem I’d steer completely clear. I know way to many people who started out at the doctors office and now buy street drugs as a result. Same goes for weed.

1 Like

There really is not a one size fits all, I know people are opinionated when it comes to prescribed pain meds. Ibuprofen like any nsaids can be hard on the kidneys.

Unfortunately there are people that live in chronic pain, and if you don’t, it would be hard to understand. There are now prescription pain meds that are in the same class as heroin and fentanyl but no where near the strength or abuse. This has become hard on people that don’t abuse their meds, but would like to have some quality of life.

Yes, prescription pain meds were over prescribed to no fault of the people that truly need them. And yes, some people have switched to street drugs because they became addicted. But most people do not. The focus has become largely on fentanyl, but having the media always refer to heroin and fentanyl as opiates is confusing to most, thinking pain meds prescribed by a doctor is one in the same.

1 Like