Panic & Anxiety

I experience panic attacks and anxiety to different degrees on a daily basis. Some of the most intense episodes come at night following some pretty lucid nightmares. Over time I think this might have added to the reasons I drink. 2nd night sober and It’s right back In full swing. So little sleep and nightmares that are seared into my brain for days. I’m currently on a few medications, and have been for quite some time. Nothing is working.

Welcome to early sobriety. The anxiety and panic attacks will subside over time. Also, the longer you have away from a drink the better the medication will work.

Hang in there. It gets better.

7 Likes

I drank for a similar situation, if you black out, you dont dream, but the booze doesn’t make the anxiety or panic attacks go away. You need to treat the cause not the symptom… are you receiving treatment for your anxiety and panic attacks, are your nightmare founded from experiences our just catastrophic thinking?

3 Likes

I have been getting treatment for almost a year. Some of the nightmares are from my experiences certainly, but it spirals quickly into a lot of nostalgic emotions and wondering.

Feel free to tell me to go duck myself (No autocorrect I mentioned to spell FUCK… I ever accidentally type duck when I mean fuck) Ok back to the point… do you have any possible past traumatic experiences that you haven’t delt with? I[quote=“Kristopher_Kaae, post:1, topic:39938, full:true”]
I experience panic attacks and anxiety to different degrees on a daily basis. Some of the most intense episodes come at night following some pretty lucid nightmares. Over time I think this might have added to the reasons I drink. 2nd night sober and It’s right back In full swing. So little sleep and nightmares that are seared into my brain for days. I’m currently on a few medications, and have been for quite some time. Nothing is working.
[/quote]

I have some more recent experience with this that also leads questions about my past and wondering… is there a more private way to chat than a public thread?

1 Like

I too have this problem alot. Alcohol always helped me pass out without the consequences. And it has gotten worse after getting sober. I eventually pass out after several days of hardly sleeping. I truly hope it gets better for you because I know all too well how this feels

Remember that “this too shall pass” but only if you stay sober.

Every time you start the motor, it’s gonna take more time to cool off after it overheats.

1 Like

There is a more private way @Insperation, you can private message people by clicking on their name and then message them.

1 Like