Panic Attacks and Anxiety

Do you suffer from them? Have you felt worse after been in recovery? How do you manage and cope?

2 Likes

Worse to start with; better in the long run. Getting out of the “I need a drink to calm down” mentality took a while to break. For me, therapy helped with the panic attacks. CBT specifically.

3 Likes

I have been in recovery for a bit and lately been bad. I am trying to get through it. I need calmer people around me that’s for sure. I am seeing a therapist. We meet weekly. Did they ever suggest meds at all?

It sounds like you’re taking the appropriate actions to eliminate/better deal with your anxiety. I too had it really bad. Couldn’t sit in one spot for a minute without making excuses and leaving. Left family/friends/colleagues with so many questions about my random departures.

I went on Citalopram, which after 2-3 weeks, seemed to work for me. I’d still get anxious but it controlled the random panic attacks.

How far into sobriety are you?

3 Likes

I emailed you as well Lya. The 2 things that helped me the most are medication and The Recovery International method. I mean night and day help. I went from being ruled by fear to knowing I can handle anything at work…even if I don’t do so well. I still have anxiety but no more panic attacks. Take a look. https://recoveryinternational.org/

1 Like

145 days.
Lately triggers are everything and everywhere. Hypervigilant. It is not how I want to be. I want to be relaxed and calm. Hard to relax and breath through an attack when you are feeling like you are going to die. I love my therapist, I feel amazing after our session but a week is so long before I see him again. I feel like I need more support but I don’t know where or what. I mean I don’t shop anymore, I don’t do addictive behaviors - eventhough it is hard but the rewards are wonderful. I feel uncomfortable in my body most days. I feel like cognitively I get it but bodily I am so for gone.
I am on a wait list for EMDR and my first appointment is in March.

1 Like

Thank you.

@ReneeAnn…here is a thread of Lya’s!

1 Like

Since recovery my anxiety was really high in the beginning. But for me after 30 days it wasn’t as intense. I have some days where I have bad days but on those days I listen to music. Or go on here and reply and read other stories that helps. Hopefully this helps. Another thing im learning is Anxiety doesnt last forever.

I’ve been diagnosed with something that gives me anxiety and depressive episodes. The doctor put me on mood stabilizers and they help alot. Barley any side effects. When I stop using them I relapse within 2 or 3 days. I would talk to your doctor about it. Remember they have meds for all this stuff, you dont have to suffer.

1 Like

I take low doses of clonazepam which saved my life i tried alot of other things. My life was just terrible with the panic attacks i couldnt wait in line go to a movie or a restraunt. Maybe see a doctor. Its all trial and error to see what works for you

1 Like