Panic attacks?

So something really strange happened to me to day and I wondered if anyone else has had a similar incident.

So I’m on day 19 and today at work I had to give a presentation, nothing unusual I’ve done this hundreds of times before so I’m used to public speaking but today was very different. I got up mumbled two words and started to feel my throat close up and my heart was racing out of my chest.

Wtf !!! I’m so confused ? How have I lost my ability to talk publicly ? Leading up to the presentation I wasn’t nervous or worried about the presentation in the slightest. Is this my mind playing tricks on me ?

Anxiety can be triggered by things you’re not actively focused on. Subconscious thoughts, or even in response to physiological status (running and becoming out of breath can trigger it in some people). People with Generalized Anxiety Disorder often get triggered for seemingly no reason at all, for example.

Anyways those certainly sound like symptoms of anxiety. Many people have those experiences without an anxiety disorder, and some with. Something to keep in mind.

I’ve had all SORTS of mild anxiety all the way to mind blowing panic attacks so I get where you’re coming from. Nothing wrong with asking for a couple seconds from your audience if that would help you stay composed.

Oh, and at day 19 it’s possible that if alcohol was your DOC you could still be feeling effects of PAWS - post acute withdrawal syndrome. That can give you anxiety episodes too.

3 Likes

Glad this was brought up. I’m day 16 and I’m getting random burst of anxiety for no reason. I haven’t done my research in PAWS but I’m gonna look into that. I’ve been doing breathing practices when they arise. Hope all ended well with your day!

2 Likes

Anxiety sucks. I am pretty even keel and don’t get sressed or scared often. But, after a particular incident, I get anxiety when I fly. I’ve flown at least 67 times, but now, for no reason, I get anxiety/panic attacks when flying; racing heart, sweaty, shakey hands, shortness of breath. It happens even if im not thinking about anything.

1 Like

Before I quit drinking, i would have panic attacks right before I fell asleep. My brain was so focused on the nightmates I knew i was going to have i would have horribke panic attacks.

Panic attacks occur for various reasons. A little reaserch will give you possible answers, and exercises you can do to help yourself.

2 Likes

To augment, here’s a quick list of things I’ve found helpful that can be looked into:
Mindfulness
Meditation
Breathing
Sensory grounding
CBT
Progressive muscle relaxation

Edit: in my experience, CBT has been the most work and taken the longest to find effectiveness, but has actually allowed me to unlearn anxiety triggers instead of only coping with them.

3 Likes

Early in recovery I was having a lot of anxiety and panic attacks. I’m not sure what your story is, but my life was crumbling around me when I came in here almost a year ago and most of my anxiety was brought on by great of what the future held for my life.

Therapy, my program, and time all helped.

3 Likes

I used to get panic attacks for 48 hours at a time where I would be up all night struggling to breathe. Thank god as my narcotic use went down so did the panic attacks. Also in rehab I had volunteered to say a prayer at the start of the meeting. I knew this prayer off by heart but as soon as I started talking I completely forgot it, I couldn’t for the life of me remember the words. After that meeting I still said the prayer at the start of future meetings but I had it written down in front of me until I was comfortable enough to do it without the notepad. Crazy really as I could recite it a hundred times no problem but it’s different doing it in front of people. If I was to give one piece of advice it would be take deep breaths and really focus on that. It will help take the edge off the anxiety.

1 Like

Another thing is that you can pay attention to the bodily signs that anxiety might be at the door and intervene early. If my anxiety is 8/10, that’s my last chance to think clearly enough to use my coping skills. I need to start coping before then, because if I’m running away to my 10/10 panic attacks, coping is beyond me temporarily and I’m shaking in a fetal position saying deathbed prayers and/or getting the nearest person to get me to a hospital.

1 Like

Such an informative reply, thank you.

DOC was alcohol (feels nice to say was rather than is)

As mentioned above by @teighacrain I’m going to look into PAWS a get a better understanding. This is all very new to me first time I’ve been sober for this long since I was 16/17 so over 10 years.

I expected different symptoms to be thrown my way and I knew I had a battle on my hands but today really threw me.

Glad to see I’m not the only one, can’t tell you how grateful I am that I found this community. Had a few really down days before I found this site and the change in mood, appetite and sleep has all been for the better since finding you so thanks everyone.

2 Likes

Similar story here, alot of damage that can’t be reversed unfortunately but I’m making peace with that as each day goes by.

This group, in such a short space of time, has done so much for me.

1 Like

Everyday it gets better or at least that’s what I’ve learned through these forums. I am taking the uncomfortable moments as change and evolution of myself towards the best me. Wish ya well brother!

1 Like