Paranoid sober

has anybody experienced paranoia after stopping drinking? i know emotions are running rampant in my mind as i used alcohol as a coping tool to keep from having them… since i stopped drinking i keep thinking my wife is cheating on me… i know this isnt the case and that she wouldnt though. i cant tell if its a gut feeling and im just now starting to see the signs of it or of it is just my mind playing tricks on me… today is 10 days sober for me.

3 Likes

Everyone is different. For me my paranoia stopped once i got sober. I can’t say that she is or isn’t cheating that is something between you two. Hope it goes away though. Stay strong.

1 Like

My paranoia was that people were talking about me on tv and even in areoplanes 37 thousand ft up i had a hard time coming of ativan two attempted suicides and for my wife lol she was having a affair loverboy moved in when i was in hospital in a straight jacket that was along long time ago now im ok now so i keep telling myself lol 10 days well done be safe

2 Likes

Paranoia could be down to your detox, maybe you should seek some medical advice as detox can be harmful. I wouldn’t have blamed my partner is he cheated on me during my lowest times, i wasn’t the easiest loving partner so i would partially blame myself. Although i cant comment on your relationship only on mine

1 Like

I was sometimes paranoid when drinking, and it took maybe 3 months to go away. I though at one time that I should keep a paper trail of emails from work because my boss was going to fire me. He just gave me a performance bonus! So I know it was the alcohol making me crazy! You will keep getting healthier and healthier the longer you are sober. I am now 3 months 5 days, minus one binge night of wine. By my counter I am at 29 days but my brain thinks it’s more like 96. Be patient with yourself, your body and mind are still adjusting.

2 Likes

I am paranoid and anxious to the max yes!! Putting it down to the many, many years of alcohol abuse and trying to accept I could be a basket case for years lol!! I have started meditation and it really helps to clear my mind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

so i talked to my wife. definitely unfounded and just my brain playing tricks on me… thanks for all the information. is app and forum has helped me tremendously.

3 Likes

I get anxiety and paranoia when drinking and the day after…it’s paralysing and consumes me. Think people have double meanings when talking for members…playing movies and songs to try and tell me something…thinking my house is bugged.

12 days clean and it’s getting better. I know my thoughts are untrue and I can push them to the side and lock away…when I’m drinking I can’t.

Have you tried meditating. I’ve just started yesterday…Hopefully it will help