Path to healing

I started drinking when I was 9 years old. My whole family was alcoholics. They turned to it for fun, anger, depression…I just thought it helped as a child. As an adult I see it just numbs everything verses actually helping. December 15th 2019 I was attacked and a man tried to rape me. A man I knew in my community. I grew up in a military family so I fought him off (because every man in family taught me how to fight) and I got away but the mental pain is still here. I was binge drinking for weeks now. My birthday was January 3rd and I woke up sad, depressed and had suicidal ideation. I decided as a mother I need help. I now have a sexual assault advocate, on medication, and seeing a counselor. It is day 2 of being sober. I live in a state of fear and anxiety. I don’t feel like I have a support system because my family are heavy drinkers and they put me down when I quit. I’ve tried to quit many times. I am in hopes that I can continue to be sober. So I am giving this a try, looking into groups, and trying my best to live in a healthier way.

I hope I didn’t trigger anyone but I don’t know who else to talk to.

7 Likes

I grew up in a dysfunctional family as well they were all alcoholics. I’m my community I was attacked by a man and raped so i know the struggle of that as Well. I’m here anytime you need to talk and just know that we are all here to support you and rooting for you!

2 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate you sharing.

1 Like

Stay strong, I know the feeling only too well as far as the lack of support from family members. I grew up in house where everyone was always drunk and violent. Keep your head up.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum (your new family). We call this forum out TS family. I’m so sorry, that must have been very traumatic. We’re all here for you. Sending you big hugs :hugs:
Don’t forget to check in daily, here’s the link.
Checking in daily to help maintain focus #6

2 Likes

Alcohol is poison to our minds and bodies, I realized this about 40 years too late…truth is though it is never too late! AA is what finally worked for me, and God gave me the power to stop. Welcome and stay strong, we are all here for each other…

3 Likes

Soooo proud of you for reaching out and congrats on 2 days!! Sounds like you are already taking the right steps to make big changes in your life! I would definitely check out some AA meetings if you’re interested. I’ve been going daily and it’s helping me build a network of sober friends I can rely on and talk to about anything. It’s hard cutting out toxic people and will take time yo build thst network but it’ll be worth it. Glad you’re here :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Welcome here,
The only way is up now and you are doing just that already! :facepunch: That’s power lady!
Good you are here!

1 Like

Welcome here; I’m so glad you fought him off… It’s a scary thing that doesn’t go away.
I hope you stay here, there’s people here who really care! :hibiscus::sparkling_heart:

1 Like