PAWS in effect

Good Lord did it ever hit me hard my 3rd week into sobriety! Definitely brought the honeymoon period to a screeching halt. :joy: Never really experienced PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) before when I’ve attempted sobriety… I’m guessing it was because I was still taking anti-depressants which masked it or I didn’t stay sober long enough. Anyways, it’s easing up now, started taking a low dose of 5-HTP which has eased the symptoms somewhat… Also being good to myself; getting enough sleep (trying to), eating healthy, staying hydrated… But man, when it hit I just woke up one morning feeling rage burning in my chest out of nowhere… I’ve had some anxiety and feelings of depression, but mostly anger, irritability, and ruminating on any little thing that ticks me off. Just a day shy from a month sober, not giving up or giving in no matter how grouchy I get. :expressionless: :muscle:

9 Likes

Ugh, sorry! It hit me during my last sober stint, not this one. No fun for sure. Sounds like you’re doing everything right. Hang in there! Just sucks because we’re like, I’m sober, I should feel amazing. It’s like getting gypped lol. Thank goodness it’s temporary :hugs:

3 Likes

I know! By now I should be feeling like a new woman! I’ll be patient, the payoff will be that much better…:blush:

3 Likes

It’s all part of the process for most. Just hang in there and stay strong. Happy one month tomorrow!

1 Like

Thank you! It’s been a long month but I made it… Looking forward to more sober months ahead (minus the PAWS!).:blush:

1 Like

Lol i thought you were talking about dogs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, anyways more strength to you :muscle:

2 Likes

That’s the spirit, don’t give in or give up.
I know that I felt like crap for at least 2 months on and off. I’d wake up one day and think “yay it’s gone”, then next day I’d be down again, feeling rubbish, mind going over and over in silly shit that I had no control over!
To my mind you are doing the best sort of things, when I was going through it I literally went to work, come home,did the bare minimum had a bath and went to bed. I really couldn’t manage much else.
So I accepted, like you are, that it’s part of the process and that this too shall pass.
Keep doing what you are doing and keep reaching out on here as well. It’s a great help.
Look at the serenity prayer. It’s helped me then and still does now.

2 Likes

I wish! Would be much happier with a dog!

Thank you for your encouragement, I really appreciate it… I keep thinking about how good I’ll feel this summer, and how much more energy I’ll have to enjoy outdoor activities! But for now, I’m hibernating and getting myself together.

2 Likes

I was a very angry person when I first quit. It was to a point that I thought the people around me were going to force me to start drinking again so I would be ok to be in a room with. It passed and I am the happy person I should be. Well most of the time lol.

2 Likes

Glad to hear others have gone through this too, and that it does go away. The anger gets so bad at times… I purposely avoid people, I get annoyed so easy and take things the wrong way.

Hello Mich80 how are you doing now? I am on day 60 today proud of myself. Keep it going you got this it gets better as time passes by, I also get paws from time to time hope it goes away one day.

1 Like

Hello there! I’m on day 85 now, the PAWS symptoms have eased up a lot thank God! No more unprovoked feelings of rage, although the irritability is still there but I think PMS is to blame for that. :smile: Congrats on 60 days! This is definitely a trying time to stay sober and we’ve all been staying strong! :heart:

2 Likes