PAWS (post-acute-withdrawal-symptoms) what are your stories or experiences

My head was foggy for the first few days. It will pass

1 Like

Around every 30 days I get moody, irritable, restless, discontent, fatigued, exhausted, and irrational. It can last up to a week. Itā€™s definitely miserable, but now that Iā€™m educated about it I talk to other women I know in recovery, my sponsor or my group counselor. I wish the best for you.

2 Likes

@jakee01. No, not taking anything. I was in anxiety meds for a while but went off them. I went off the one that was working really well to see if it was the cause of some medical issues I was having. I went on a different one to replace it and that did nothing so I quit taking it. Iā€™ve been debating whether I want to go back on anything just yet, or not. Iā€™m kinda miserable with it (only intermittently though) but Iā€™d hate to just cover up something I should be dealing with. Iā€™m hoping my counseling may help me sort out which path to take.

1 Like

Iā€™m 6 months in but I remember most The SWEATING. I could not stop sweating. Also racing thoughts. Trying to ā€œcatchā€ a thought was like watching a freight train go past and trying to read the graffiti. Tired all the time but Sooooo restless. Had blackouts the first week. Rage for no reason.

1 Like

@Carla. I love your analogy of trying to read the graffiti as a speeding train passes. Thatā€™s perfect.

1 Like

4.72 weeks as of right now.
Headaches stopped for the last few days.
Sleeping close to 8 hours for the first time in awhile. Sporadic rushes of pleasurable heightened physical sensitivity.
Energy level is really good.
And although my moods do seem to go up and down more than when I was tossing back martinisā€¦ itā€™s very managable to set myself back in the right state of mind.
I donā€™t want to speak to soon because I know that PAWS can continue to pop up over time but at this point Iā€™m very happy with the results of being alcohol free. My body seems to be very happy about it
Now that itā€™s had some time to adjust.

Some of you will know that I have an anxiety disorder but that seems to have subsided since I stopped drinking. However, those who do the daily check in will know that I am getting A LOT of headaches. Iā€™m starting to worry about it. I know that headaches are part of PAWS. I have done the reading, but I have them more often than not. Iā€™m at 39 days. Is this normal? Anyone else had such frequent headaches at this point. Itā€™s been pretty constant for a couple of weeks.

Mine lasted from about day 25 to about day 32. They just went away. But they werenā€™t debilitating. Some one I speak to on another alcohol free community that is 2 days behind me also got them for about the same days I did. I drank vodka she drank beer. Hoping that adds to your calculations.

1 Like

I am now 2 months sober after 2 relapses. Iā€™m so tired of starting my sobriety all over again after doing so well!! But as for PAWS, I had it bad with sweats, night and day, hearing voices and seeing shadowsā€¦I know! Freaky and scary as hell! I asked the doctor if I was losing my mind but he said thatā€™s just part of it! I made myself eat soup and crackers while my hand was shaking so bad I could barely get it to my mouth and drank Pedialyte and tons of water. Around 3 days, things start to subside a bit. I also took Emergen-C powders about 2x day. Iā€™m hanging in there and dreading the holidays but God is with me. He got me through the last PAWS, and He got me through this one too. Now when that little devil whispers to me on my shoulder, I turn my head and listen to my little angel on my other shoulder! God is Great! Good luck you guys! It will get better! Stay Strong and know you are loved!

2 Likes

I did and I would take 2 Goody Powders with a caffeinated drink. Also get some carbs in youā€¦that seemed to help me too! Comfort food like mashed potatoes or Mac n cheeseā€¦hope this helps and I hope you feel better!!:heart:

Starting day 7 here. Iā€™m feeling stronger, food is still iffy, sometimes I can eat, othersā€¦ not so much.
Iā€™m still having nausea and sleeplessness.
Even with all of this I still feel better than I did while I was drinking.

Many on this thread Report symptoms which are actually not PAWS because PAWS refers to any symptoms that persist after acute withdrawal has resolved so after a few weeks of abstinence.

2 Likes

Hey guys ! Day 101 ā€¦ I am an opioate addict not alcohol .
Iā€™m sure withdrawls have similarities but many differences as well .
I have had terrible PAW withdrawls Nd the people close to me think oh you are fine ā€¦ like Iā€™m cured, once the physical subsided ā€¦ nope ā€¦ still insomnia ā€¦ itching ā€¦ yawns :yawning_face:ā€¦ and fatigue, depression and racing spacey thoughts. Agitation too. I do hair and my clients of 10 to 15 years know me wellā€¦ knew when I was high and for that they actually are the most supportive and them and my son are really what keeps me going as a lot of my family is distant and didnā€™t know about my use

Iā€™m on day 9 and Iā€™M SO THIRSTY!!! Not for booze, for water! Is that normal?

1 Like

@VSue - you mention in one of your older posts above about not feeling happy, just ā€˜okā€™ or ā€˜contentā€™.

I feel the same and have a theory as to why this is the case for me.

Over the years I have taught my body that happy = the elevated levels of dopamine produced by my body when taking cocaine or drinking.

What if the ā€˜contentā€™ or ā€˜okā€™ that we are feeling is the ā€˜happyā€™ that non-addicts feel (because they have never experienced the enhanced version of ā€˜happyā€™ that I experience from alcohol\substance abuse).

I have wrestled with this because it will be a difficult one to get to grips with in the long-term but figure it will be fixed over time.

3 Likes

Going into day 3, nauseous, exhausted but canā€™t sleep, antsy feeling. The nausea is the worst.

For me:
Dry heaving
Sweating followed by chills
Exhausted but insomnia
Vivid and/or disturbing dreams
Fuzzy ā€œdisconnectedā€ feeling
Hunger, but no appetite
Canā€™t focus or remember
And of course, the shakes

Your milage may vary

When I first got sober, I remember feeling so angry all the time. And for me this was intense because I was always angry all the time. This was a whole new level. It hurt Relationships and schooling a lot. I still would do it all again to be sober. After the anger went away, there was a lot of guilt, some I still have. But Iā€™m sober, stable, and I want to live now.

Recovering from a gaming addiction, so I had way different withdrawal. I became more energetic and relaxed. I did however ruin my fingers by biting them like crazy and scratching the skin off

Kind of relieved to see ā€œAnhedonia: inability to feel joy/happinessā€ as a symptom of withdrawal.
On day 12 right now. Every time I quit in the past I felt great after 3 days, like a million bucks by day 10. This time I just donā€™t care. I donā€™t even want to be here. Not suicidal butā€¦likeā€¦ I can take it or leave it. Iā€™m not interested or excited about anything. Dragging myself around, trying to force myself to do things that normally bring me happiness. Everyone annoys me. Wish I had no one in my life but my cat.

As a 45 year old woman, itā€™s interesting to remark all of these symptoms for PAWS are the same as menopause, as well as chronic depression. Which one do I have? All three?
Whee.
At least Iā€™m aware being brutally hungover wonā€™t make matters any better. Hoping this isnā€™t hormonal so it isnā€™t the next 15 years of my life.