People in Recovery and Plants! (Part 1)

Just an aside, my husband has been bugging me to get a job at the garden center I frequent. His coworker’s wife works there and says they always need people. I am very tempted. The fact that you did this makes me want to check it out seriously! So thanks for sharing @TMAC

Also, it’s mostly women who work there and they apparently all have advanced degrees in a variety of areas, just like me, he says. :laughing:

3 Likes

Must be one of those plant splurge weekends.

Another Stenocactus Multicostatus, my 3rd.

20220820_103522

Thelocactus usually aren’t my jam, but this one was too cool.

Thelocactus Rinconensis sp. Freudenbergii

20220820_103445

And another agave pup was ready to be plucked from momma agave, so now that’s three she’s birthed with a 4th very close.

20220820_103356

7 Likes

3 plant posts in one weekend :grin:

I was on my walk this morning and got lucky.
Agave had been dug up, public land. Not sure if it’s being moved or thrown out or what, but a few of the babies had come loose and so one came with me.

Ethical gray area, but I know it’ll be well-cared for and as long as I don’t kill it, she’ll be planted back into the outdoors eventually. Unlikely she would’ve made it if left as-is.

14 Likes

Ethically safe, I think! Thanks for caring for her :relaxed:

4 Likes

Set up everyone together for the first time in a while. No netting allowed so I’ll have to move them this morning so they don’t get burnt, but it was nice having them like this for the evening. I wish I didn’t have to have netting, as I love the view and this lets passersby enjoy my collection, too - that’s half the joy in it.

Also, this one that I spotted in the wild yesterday.
Is the parking lot of HomeGoods “the wild”?

14 Likes

I think this one (named Theo in my head) is my second favorite. I really like the crazy wave like look that cactus has going on.

1 Like

Squeee!!! So excited to see this leaf open! It must have unfurled last night! I’m so happy to see the split in the leaf (my husband asked me if that was a good thing :rofl:) And I think it’s ready to plant in soil - just look at those roots!

The mother plant has a few new sprouts, also. Now to decide whether to plant them together in a larger pot or what…

9 Likes

Looking good!!!

1 Like

Cereus Peruvianus Monstrosus, aka Curiosity Cactus.

Essentially a mutant Peruvian Apple Cactus.

Can grow up to 10 feet tall. Right now, about 8 inches.

Got a lot of spines stuck under my skin repotting this one. I’ve gotta toughen up these soft city hands!

11 Likes

7 Likes

Probably should’ve waited until the employee discount takes effect :grimacing:

Some kind of monstrosus

Echinofossulocactus Phyllacanthus Violaciflora

Same genus as my Stenocactus Multicostatus (technically “stenocactus” is antiquated, they are now all echinofossulocactus) but this specific species grows much larger.

Size difference

7 Likes

Help me identify this sad fellow?

My sister gifted him to me, I threw away his ID card and my cats thought he was tasty so I relegated him to the patio. When winter hits he’ll have to re-try his luck in kitty thunderdome.

7 Likes

Looks like a mangave to me!

5 Likes

Thanks! His name is now Manfred so I remember.

5 Likes

How funny is that.
Very.
:joy::joy:

2 Likes

It’s true. 85% of my plants did not survive the challenge. :rofl:

2 Likes

Proud momma and all of her babies now “out of the nest”.
Might try to sell a few in the shop.

5 Likes

Still no screen put up by the office.

So mine will continue to go back up while they aren’t around. It’s a pain in the ass to move them all just for one day, but we do crazy things in the name of love.

10 Likes

I got a Rex begonia in my last plant delivery back in June and I nearly killed it. I repotted it into a much smaller pot and took off all the damaged leaves ( which was most of them) These are the first three healthy new leaves to have grown over the past few weeks. I’m so relieved to see them!

8 Likes

Aw it’s beautiful! I had to say goodbye to my Rex because I just didn’t do what it needed to survive. Devastating! Begonias are my favorite.