People places things

Has anyone else struggled with the whole “stay away from people places things” part of recovery? I’m really having a hard time with it. I barley have any friends and the ones I do have all drink and do cocaine (once in a while). They aren’t bad people, and I’m having trouble staying away from them. If I let them go then I have nobody and that’s really terrifying me.

How do all of you cope?

2 Likes

I avoided my partying friends (all my friends) for the first several months of my sobriety. As time went on, I was more comfortable being around my friends at parties and hosting parties and such. FYI we are a 60ish retired couple in Florida…every day is a pool or beach party or a Saturday here. And my husband drinks.

Some friends I have let go of …the ones who do a lot of drugs and who get sloppy drunk. No longer invited over. All our other friends and family are very respectful of where I am at, for some, they are envious. Most have a very healthy relationship with alcohol…so it isn’t a big deal for them. They don’t just sit around and drink themselves stupid…we all chat, play cards and games, dance, beach walk, hikes, etc.

I already lived thru my hard partying coke and pill filled years somehow and made it to the other side. Now I managed to leave the booze behind as well. I have lost a lot of friends along the way to both.

I am definitely not of the you have to leave all the people and places behind you. Of course it also took me 10 years to get 100% sober. So…take my words for what you will.

I think it all really depends on you and whether you are tempted or solid. I am solid. Years ago, I wouldn’t have been. Now, I am. I am 690 days sober. I would not recommend hanging with drunks and users if that is all they are doing or hanging in bars…boring. Only YOU know where you are at and whether your friends support your sobriety. I hope that you are solid and they do support you.

Oh, I also do plenty on my own without my friends that drink…so that is a positive I recommend as well.

Hugs, Sassy

6 Likes

Had to meet new friends and put some temporary distance between myself and my drinking friends until I had enough time to start to learn it had nothing to do with people places or situations

1 Like

Honestly no…but I am a lazy homebody…I have very few friends and I never go out. I was a drinking at home person. I’m okay not drinking at home unless I’m watching something on tv that has a lot of booze and it’s being romanticized. Then I struggle. But I can easily change channels.

1 Like

I have lost everyone at the moment and it is terrifying. The thought of not knowing if you can ever be around them again is torture, let alone the fact we are trying to come to terms with what we have done to people and trying to battle with our addictions. I wish you luck on your journey to hopefully a better, healthier and happier life

I simply got to know me better. Learned to enjoy my own company.

3 Likes

Sobriety is more important for me than anything or anyone, so it was an easy choice. Once I’m ready to be social again, I’ll reach out and learn who my real friends are.

1 Like

I had trouble with it for 2.5 decades. …and I just kept drinking. This time I eliminated all the people, places and thing that helped me drink. In time life fills up with sober stuff…paitence to find it was my thing …

I have lived in the same city for nineteen years. Before I stopped drinking, I knew literally one sober person. I have friends here who Zi have known for years. They all drink, moderately. My husband drinks, in a very sane and occasional fashion. When I drink it is neither sane, moderate or occasional.

At first, I did not go to restaurants and bars where I once hung out (or worked.). I just felt too awkward, and I thought it would be too much of a temptation. What happens when an old friend walks in and offers to buy me a drink? Could I turn it down? For the first couple of months, I asked my husband if he would just keep the booze in a cabinet. He happily obliged.

With just over nine months under my belt, I no longer fear being around people who drink. They can enjoy that part of life, and I cannot. If I drink again, I am on my way to a quick death. That thought is usually enough of a deterrent. If it is not, I go down my list of strategies until the urge has passed. For me, I just need to know what frame of mind I am in. If I am white hot angry or tired and frustrated? I don’t need to go to a social occasion where alcohol will be served. It’s just not worth the risk. Having said that, those occasions are much fewer than they used to be .

3 Likes

People, Places & Things…

Remember, Jesus Christ said In Matthew 10:36:

“Indeed, a man’s enemies will be those of his own household”.

The closest people to You can keep You furtherest from Your Recovery, Sobriety, Peace, Goals, Independence, etc…

1 Like