Personal tips to fight cravings #alcohol

Do you guys have personal tips for when the cravings comes!!! For me, especially, this week that I’ve been working hard that sense of deserving used to bring together the thirst and cravings…
Thank you❤

2 Likes

Just play the tape of why you wanted to stop drinking. Keep playing it, keep busy untill it’s time for bed, or go to bed earlier and relax. Take baths, treat yourself to something other then alcohol. New shampoo, cologne, something sweet. The urge will pass, and tomorrow will be a better day.

9 Likes

great words and advices!!! It’s been important to see other ideas, and populate my mind! Thank you :heart::facepunch:t3:

2 Likes

I know that HALT is very helpful for me to recognize why a craving is there.

Hungry (99% of the time if I eat, it vanishes)
Angry
Lonely
Tired

Dehydration can cause a craving for me as well.

7 Likes

The H is an an incredibibly awesome tip for me I believe also, tks mate!!!

3 Likes

Create new rewards.
It’s all about training your brain.

2 Likes

Drink flavored seltzer water

2 Likes

Like the others have said before, play the tape through from right when you have your first sip until the next day waking up feeling like shit! Don’t crave alone. Talk to someone on here or to someone personally that understands about addiction. Breath deep in and out and count to a certain number. Maybe do some sports? These things really help me to stay sober

2 Likes

I was going to say I start my day off with a gratitude list and I find that very helpful. But when the cravings come … I guess I always think back to the last time I just had one drink? I got nothing. Never happened. In 45 years of drinking I can’t imagine me just having one drink. Not even once.
Meditation helps.
Clean the house.
Maybe start a gratitude list right then and there when the craving comes. There’s probably no better time to be grateful to be sober.
Reach out to the people here at TS

4 Likes

Find a higher power and pray … when them cravings come get down on your knees and pray…ask for it to be removed. Might sound crazy but at the beginning of my journey my sponsor told me to do it and it really helped me x

3 Likes

Thank you @anon12657779! I’ll think of some things, makes sense !

1 Like

I really believe in what you say, it makes me wanna be a better man - that’s part of why I’m doing this, I believe we have accountability beyond this life. Thanks for taking your time to write, this community is important

1 Like

Seriously mate. It just takes a shift in how we see our relationship with alcohol.
We’ve been programmed that it’s out friend through good and bad times.
We just gotta deprogram ourselves.
Whatever it takes.

5 Likes

I started the day 100%, now after working hard, I’m feeling thirsty even after having eaten a large meal of arabic food. Have already done sports in the morning. Maybe an ice cream, and few drops of Clonazepan… to fade this away
This is all new… sorry for jabbering

@Dazercat, thanks for taking the time to write, I think this possibility to connect with people here in such a honest way is maybe the strongest thing… the drinking thing was always such a reason for shame, and all of a sudden there’s this openess and all these stories of intelligent people fighting (or at least, paying attention to this f* thing) that is strong

2 Likes

@anon12657779 You’re absolutely right, but it’s hard work to unplug this Chernobyl… but you’re right. F* enemy in disguise. So many moments, so so many I have weaken myself because of this shit

1 Like

Appreciate it. Truth and sharing in recovery is where it’s at.

1 Like

Understand that bud. We’ve all been there.
I can tell you that there is a way out.
Might not seem like it to you now, god knows I felt like I was stuck 2 years ago.
But I’m here now singing the praises.

3 Likes

For me, running, eating and TS are the super powers.

1 Like

Dig deep and don’t give in. Life is better without it, contrary to what we’ve been programmed to believe.
All of us have a memory of a good time with it, but the reality is it’s usually something we’d like to forget.
Keeping that in mind helped me change my feelings towards drinking. 🤷

2 Likes