Personalised why statement

Do you have a WHY statement?

I’ve only used common mantras like, “I’m only one cigarette away from being a smoker”. That one helped me give up smoking 20+ years ago.

I’ve been struggling with overeating after quitting alcohol 102 days ago. I am hoping a personalised why statement will help pull me back to sanity, when I get tempted:

“To rid my body of man-made substances that compromise my health”.

2 Likes

“I’m only one elbow bend away from hell” or maybe “from insanity”

4 Likes

I want to find a mate and settle down. My friends all have and I’m pretty lonely these days. Would drink myself silly to be “social” and I turned into a drunk recluse.

My ex left me mostly for being a drunk. Have a hard time stopping at two.

1 Like

That would make a great why statement:

“To find my soul mate and settle down in sobriety and love”

It would be worse to deny you have a problem and jump into another relationship only for it to fail for the same reason. Take heart that sobriety is tough for a lot of us, but we are here for each other.

Big hug x

3 Likes

What is a WHY statement?

3 Likes

A why statement is your reason or purpose for doing something. It is similar to a Vision statement that clarifies why you do things a certain way. But dfferent to a Mission statement that details how you deliver your vision.

1 Like

@Benedictine - “I am sober because life tastes better that way.” That is a great quote. Definitely gonna use that as a mantra of sorts. Thank you. :+1:t4:

1 Like

I am sober because I am aware of how powerless I am over alcohol.

2 Likes

In order for me to maximize the fun in my life i must be the best version of my physical self and be mentally stable and free from worries. Therefore i will stop smoking weed so that i can be mentally and spiritually aligned which will help me be less stressed out and be more present.