Personality

Anyone else not know who they are without drugs/alcohol? I have been using both starting as early as middle school and legitimately don’t know my personality outside of substances. It’s exciting, but it’s also scary because alcohol and drugs have been such a safety net in uncomfortable situations, etc. Just a thought.

11 Likes

True, see when I drank sometimes I was funnier, sometimes I was a dick. Sometimes I would be quiet, when I did coke, I always would get quiet because it made me geek out and stutter. Idk I’m still the quiet person sometimes, and sometimes I’m the funny person. Drugs didn’t make me who I was or not that idk who I was bc of drugs. I know I’m a much better person without the drugs. Killing my exercises, saving money, being a better father. Just keep at it and work and focus on yourself and you’ll see who you are day by day.

7 Likes

True! It isn’t necessarily that they made me who I was. It’s just what I did. I was the party girl. I was good at it. But because of that, a lot of hobbies I got into I grew bored of because I would have rather been drinking. I’ve never stuck with anything in my life and I’m hoping that will change now that alcohol isn’t a factor.

3 Likes

It will:) promise, I never liked to do anything but drink either. Everything I did involved getting drunk, I never exercised in my life lol. But now it’s my new hobby, 30 mile bike rides, jogging lifting. I hung out with my friends the other day bc I thought I was missing them, sitting around getting drunk is what I thought was fun, I hung out with them, saw nothing changed and it was boring as shit, I hung out for like maybe 3 hours and don’t really plan on doing it again. And if you were the fun party girl when you drank, you can still be that fun girl without the alcohol too, sometimes are friends just don’t like seeing that so they stop hanging out with us. But I’m willing to bet your still that fun party person without the drink.

6 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

This was something that prevented me from making the change much earlier in life. Who am I and what will I be like? It took about three months to realize that the best parts of drinking Graham, or the things i viewed as the best about me, were still the same. I was still out going and chatty. In reality drinking didn’t really help those qualities. I became a boorish person that required babysitting.
It just took awhile to realize that I wasn’t as great a drunk as I thought and alcohol didn’t help my personality.

7 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense! I am normally a pretty introverted person (not by choice) and alcohol always helped me get out of my shell. I have never gone more than a month and a half (which isn’t really long at all) without drinking so I am hoping I’ll gain a new confidence I didn’t realize I was capable of without leaning on a substance as a crutch.

5 Likes

Absolutely. Being drunk was 100% my personality, I would never do anything social if I wasnt able to drink through it. Being an alcoholic in college was so hard because everyone loved how much I drank. I was the cool, fun, flirty party girl that was always invited to parties because of how much I could drink. Everyone was so impressed by it. I didnt want to let that go at all. I felt like I was so good at something and people actually wanted to be around me for it, it’s one of the main reasons that stopping was so hard. I felt like people wouldnt want to be around me sober.

5 Likes

And your confidence will increase with each successful day you have. Keep it up

4 Likes

and on the other side

im out going when im sober, and really really honestly, drinking slows me down, esspecily hard alcohol cuz i always end up getting sick. pot really really messes with my meds. pot makes my commen sence non excistant.

im happier sober and wayyy more fun and funnier and outgoing. i am ligit a air head under the influence.

its just the habbit that kills my sobriety. substances tricked me into thinking i was happy for just a long long time. now i have marijuana dependancy and drink out of habbit

lol its really weird

3 Likes

This is very true I am on day 75 of being sober and every day its new to me, I was drunk every day for the past 20 something years, frogot how being sober felt, IT FEELS GOOD BEING SOBER!

5 Likes

I feel this. It could be a depression thing but I also find that it’s harder for me to enjoy certain things, like going to shows, when I’m sober. I find myself becoming bored more easily.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m definitely nervous for quarantine to be over and to get back to my normal work and social life but without alcohol. I am certain I won’t pick up again but it’s still scary to imagine how I’ll handle situations now.

4 Likes

damn this is a good topic

interesting

2 Likes

I had a hard time at first to, but just do small things that u usually are uncomfortable with and eventually it’s start to become more exciting. So like for you if going to shows, I’m not sure what kind of show it is. But I’m sure it’s harder because you feel more nervous, we think drinking takes away are nervousness and made it easier, but I can recall many times I drank and still walked into somewhere still nervous and usually would drink to more only making it worse lol. We have these nervous feelings for a reason, they are natural, when you go to you’re shows, just focus on all the good things, and focus on yourself having a good time. It gets easier with time, and if you feel overwhelmed then don’t be afraid to leave, once you do leave you will feel proud of yourself that you still made it as long as you could, and then the next time it will be even easier

4 Likes

I will say this; a couple years ago I was bartending at a local brewery where I live and I was part of the original crew when they first opened up. We were required to taste all the beer on tap in order to get a better understanding of what we were serving. This chick I worked with agreed to taste small samples but explained to us she was taking a break from drinking. It really caught my attention and we talked about it a little bit next shift.

She just told me her therapist recommended her taking a break. Eventually, she saw it as a challenge and wanted to push herself to see how long she could go. I worked there about a year and she was still going strong. I remember her telling me that she went to music festivals completely sober and celebrated her birthday 100% sober while everyone around her was partying. She told me eventually she didn’t even crave drinking or doing drugs and that it was actually fun being sober because she could just feed off other people’s energy without actually drinking or taking anything.

She really inspired me. I am hoping I’ll have a similar experience! Only mine isn’t temporary haha

8 Likes

I have been in a couple situations where the opportunity to drink was there and I didn’t and I definitely felt great about my decision. It really does kick ass being sober!

2 Likes

Yes. I dont know who and what I am, but atleast I now know when :v:t2: Im not all that bad as I thouht, not all that great neither but Im ok. Right now, I feel blessed. Just to be really. To live and breathe. To feel. Strange, I would never have guessed that 8 months ago. But then again, that is not who I am. Thankfully. 11 pm and Im about to go in to the night without anything weighing on me or feeling guilty. How cool is that. Im looking forward to get to know me better. To get to know life. All of you. This is great :hugs: I feel blessed :pray:t2:

4 Likes

Originally yes, especially when in social situations. But I personally have come to love who I am alone and with others. It will come for you too with continued sobriety. You will be more and more “yourself” and you’ll feel like you’re coming home after a very long time.

8 Likes

I love this! Thank you!

2 Likes