Physical Exercise

Ok - there’s been a bunch of chatter in the chat room about working out as a positive addition to recovery. I’m starting this thread for anyone who wants to discuss workout / physical training related topics, post work outs, successes, exercise motivation etc.

25 Likes

Working out has been my saviour… I’m just shy of 18 months sober and have lost 40 pounds but more importantly I’ve found a way to calm my anxiety and release frustrations without using. I notice a HUGE difference in my mental health when I don’t take some time during the day to workout.

20 Likes

A little about my athletic pursuits…I have always considered myself a distance runner, usually that meant 5k-10k range, with a couple half marathons and a marathon mixed in over the years. However in the last year after 20+ years of mountain biking and running, I have taken up Obstacle Course Racing (OCR) in the form of the Spartan Race series. I have committed in 2018 to complete all 3 distances which collectively are known as the “Trifecta” as a challenge to my willpower and commitment to a healthier lifestyle. My first race is coming up the end of this month and I’m looking forward to the challenge. Later this year I will be competing in my very first “Ultra” race - a 26k run at 11k foot elevation. These are the goals I have my sights set on and my training regimen is focused on a mix of endurance and unconventional gym work. I am not a personal trainer and have no formal exercise physiology background, I’m just an amateur athlete who loves a good endorphin rush and a challenge to overcome. I’d love to discuss training or hear from others who are also on a journey of sobriety and training physically to enhance their overall wellbeing.

8 Likes

Congrats!! 40lbs is an amazing loss!! I’m down 30 and just couldn’t seem to drop that extra 5-10 that I was looking to lose, but I’m confident that by dropping the booze, I will crack through that plateau… and congrats on the 18 month sobriety as well!

2 Likes

74F135DA-CB95-420F-8B89-9D3DC7132540

17 Likes

Nice topic! :muscle:

1 Like

Yeh a great way to release anger! I use to be scared and embarresssed about jogging on the treadmill at the gym then one day I was so angry and frustrated I said duck it I need to just run and I’m now in a rountine where I jog 4 times a week now.

12 Likes

I absolutely punish myself with exercise and go to the point of collapse every time. I even won an award at my crossfit gym’s Christmas party for being the hardest worker.

It sounds nuts when I write it out but the reason is that while I’m doing it, nothing else matters. It quiets all the anxiety in my mind and all I can focus on is getting that next rep or making it to the finish line because my muscles are on fire.

This then helps my mental health for the rest of the day. I’m going to start exercising later in the day when I would usually be swinging by the shops to buy booze.

8 Likes

40lbs and 18 months is an awesome set of numbers. Excellent work!!!

1 Like

My usual fitness regime includes 06:15 morning group fitness classes at my loca Fitness First, doing Bodypump, Cycle Spin, Yoga, Step and gym work. My gym squad take part in regular Tough Mudders, Triathalons, Spartan, Marathons, Cycling challenges, which is great if I want to have a go. As the unoffical gym “Bodypump queen”, I’m happy to try outlift the boys…lol. The city bike trail near my house has great views along the Yarra River and gets me into to downtown Melbourne in less than an hour. My goal for 2018 is to lose all the weight I gained since quitting alcohol 124 days ago and to help my daughter train to become a Bodypump Fitness instructor.

5 Likes

Great weight loss achievement!!

1 Like

Exercise is a key part of my recovery. It keeps a fit mind as well as a fit body.

4 Likes

Great topic. I have been very unfit the past years and feel like I kind of forgot how to exercise. I have signed up for the gym but still feel somehow apprehensive to go. I assume that this is a mental blockage but any tips on how to ‘restart’ from 0?

2 Likes

Well I’ve never been big into exercise but probably because I was Always too drunk or hung over…I’m going to start with walking and see how I do then go from there…trust me its a big step for me (pun intended)

10 Likes

Sadly my exercise regime is nearly non-existent right now and I can feel how that affects me both physically and emotionally. I have bad back pain due to a very VERY weak core (thanks to 2 c-sections 11+ years ago and serious ignorance as to how bad it was all that time). I am working on it but in the meantime all I can do is simple stretching and core exercises. I can do a little yoga but nothing too physical (not power yoga for sure). I can walk, of course, but the snow and brutal cold has me indoors right now.

I’m hoping for some relief so I can get back to running and weight training. I miss it.

2 Likes

I do 2 calisthenics workouts, Neila Rey’s Viking and Gladiator, on alternate days. and I walk 5 miles. I listen to motivating podcasts like the Jocko Podcast & SOTG Radio Podcast while working out.

1 Like

Coming back from letting yourself go is tough. Tougher when there’s injury, or birth involved. I’m dealing with all the wear & tear put on my body in the military. Can’t run anymore. I’ll get through the first week and then the knees start acting up. I’ve had to learn to work around these. Weights bother my shoulders, elbows and knees, but kettlebells are no problem. Same with calisthenics. Working your core and getting some cardio (I walk) will go a long way to giving you a foundation upon which to build. Stretching too. You are on the right track.

I feel you on the cold. I work out in the mornings. Was 9 degrees Fahrenheit this morning. Let’s just say the walk was short and brisk.

We heat our house with wood (cut and pellets). I cut and split wood. The great thing about wood is it warms you several times; when you gather, when you split, when you stack it, when you haul it, and finally when you burn it.

5 Likes

I do Krav Maga x2 a week. The best part is the punching and kicking, awesome way to release tension and anxiety. Usually drenched in sweat too. Its a group class, which also gives me a feeling of support and community. Thats what I need the most.

2 Likes

Fitness has definitely helped keep me sober and motivated over the last 5 months. I missed so many workouts in the past due to being hungover. I attempt to be an all around athlete. I hit the gym Monday-Friday starting at 4:30 am, do weight training and end with some sort of cardio. Weekends are spent cycling. I’ve recently started running again too. Actually started out the new year with a 8+ mile run. Along with this I incorporate intermittent fasting, the 16-8 protocol. Helps you stay lean while maintaining muscle mass. 2018 goals will include at minimum a half marathon and 125 mile bike ride. 3 years ago I injured my back, so I have to power through pain on most days, if I ever wake up and don’t hurt I’ll assume I’m dead :smiley:

2 Likes