Physical Exercise

I have my last meal by 6 or 7 pm, then I won’t eat the following day until at least 11am. On the weekends I may or may not eat a normal breakfast, depending on how long of a ride I have planned. I was able to do 62 miles completely fasted and still managed to average 18-19 mph. Any longer than that and I will eat first.

How has your energy level been during your normal fasting protocol on normal training days? Did u feel any difference or decline at first?

I’ve been a workout junkie for about 5 years now, part of the reason I’ve decided to get sober is that hangovers and working out aren’t the best mix. Strength training has been my bag, I’m a music teacher so I get plenty of cardio at work. Any reason to exercise is a good one!

1 Like

There was definitely a decrease at first, for example if I was doing intervals on the bike I wouldn’t be able to maintain my maximum effort for quite as long, or during weight training I couldn’t get as many reps. I was still able to output the same power and get my max weight, but the endurance wasn’t there. My body has since adjusted so I’m performing just as well as if I was eating normally. The key is to get enough calories during your eating window.

2 Likes

Thanks - heard a lot about it and been wanting to try it but hadn’t ventured down that path yet. I think I will do a bit of reading and give it a try.

I think I’m about to start going to the gym. It’ll definitely help with everything I having going on.

1 Like

Start. You will never regret doing something healthy for your body and mind.

I do 16/8 And frequently work out fasted. It is a chore at first but adjusted within a week. Not sure how much this is bro science but I’ve read that going fasted means you burn fat as energy rather than the food in your belly.

1 Like

This is how I got back to fitness after having kids, feeling fat, weak and unfit:

TIME: I started out walking on the treadmill at varying speeds and inclines. It’s important you don’t over exert yourself at the start. Focus on building up time in the gym to begin with, build up slowly. I started out 30 minutes walking on the treadmill, then later included the rower. After building up confidence I added more variation. You only need 45 minutes per day. Unless you’re training for an event.

TECHNIQUE: Make sure your form is right, that you understand your body composition and how to use the equipment. Use online tutorials, read fitness articles and get advice at the gym. Take into account your ailments as part of your training. I have a dicky knee that I have to watch, so cycling, Bodypump, swimming and yoga are great recovery exercises for me. Get clearance from your doctor before you start.

HEART RATE: The dictum is 120 rpm as the normal workout heart rate zone. To lose weight you need to keep this rate for between 20-40 mins. Up to 180 is high intensity. Your fitness can be determined by how long it takes to get your heart rate up…the longer it takes, the fitter you are, 5-10 minutes to warm up is fit. Conversely the longer it takes for your heart to normalize after exercise shows that you are unfit. Interval training exercises are time effective and can spike your heart rate in good ways to strengthen your heart muscle.

COMFORT: Wear comfortable gym wear that wicks away the sweat, the key is to keep dry. Wear good training shoes, I wear old shoes to the gym and change into my gym shoes. They are expensive so I don’t wear them outside. Take a hand towel with you and use it and clean the equipment after use, your gym buddies will love you for that. I wash my gym clothes in the tiniest amount of washing powder and bicarbonate soda. Don’t use softener it is full of fat and ruins clothes, white vinegar is better.

HYDRATION: Drink water before during and after working out. A lot of people drink coffee as a preworkout…that is not good for your gut. You could drink a juice concoction of beetroot, ginger, carrot, celery and Apple. Beets contain nitrate which the body converts to nitrate oxide that pumps oxygen into the blood. Some athletes use this as part of their training which can increase performance by 20%. Drink it 30 minutes before a session.

Finally, don’t be nervous when you go in. Old timers like us love seeing newbies come in and give it a good go. Don’t think anyone is judging you because they aren’t. Keep going long enough and you’ll become part of a gym squad and that’s when the fun begins. They will help keep you accountable and you’ll have another social circle to knock around with.

Wishing you a healthy New Year!

4 Likes

This is lovely, thank you for taking the time to write down all this, I feel quite motivated by now. Another reason to be excited for all the changes 2018 can bring.

3 Likes

Great gameplan u’ve laid out!

2 Likes

Sounds pretty interesting. Whenever i ride to work its faasted, bit thats onlu 17 miles. Im gonna try it out.

To determine your heart rate for exercise, the Gold Standard is the Karvonen Method. See: http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm. However, if you haven’t exercised for awhile or have had an abnormal cardiac episode, you may want to check with yoir PCP for guidance.

2 Likes

Im definitely an outlier for that standard…
My max is 205, that was saying 178.
Ive been cycling reguarly for years and raced up until about 4 years ago.

All the best and keep us updated xxx

1 Like

I did a blind beet juice supplement study. It was pretty interesting to see the results after. It definitely helped.

2 Likes

I get up early, drink my coffee then workout. I need to begin my evening workouts, too. At least doing it first in the morning starts my day out right with healthy self care. Some days yoga, weights, Pilates, kickboxing…

1 Like

Did my first post Christmas crossfit work out yesterday. Absolutely broken but it feels great to be back on the exercise horse. Helped with my cravings last night too!

1 Like

@VSue Don’t let the depression get to you!

Just pick some exercise, something you can modify and start today. There is always something you can do. When I was very out of shape I used to take my Mom to the senior’s swimming times at the rec centre. I was in the fast lane swimming with that group. I also find it inspirational to see the old folks working away, doing what they can.

Another option is walking workouts on Youtube. I hate workout DVD’s but in this weather it’s either that or the gym.

1 Like

So true on getting inspired by seniors…I live in Florida and even though I am a member of AARP, there is a lot of motivation having 80+ year olds kicking your butt in pilates and yoga class.

Love working out. Heading to a strength training class shortly to get my ass kicked again.

1 Like