Physical Exercise

I am hoping on this thread if that’s okay. I am 24 days into sobriety and as some of you know I left my state, husband and kids to attend a 6 week IOP center. I start Monday as I did my intake and I was a good candidate. I also got a job for while I am here working swings and I plan on getting a gym membership while here at anytime fitness. Prior to my addiction I was huge into fitness, working out daily, clean eating and meal prepping. Here is to keeping my mind busy until I see my husband and kids again :heart:

5 Likes

Absolutely ok!! Welcome :slight_smile: would love your thoughts!

2 Likes

Just remember like any other substance once u stop taking it your body will loose the crutch and if u dont stay on top on conditioning that muscle will turn to fat quickly… natural.muscle is always best…

2 Likes

That’s a great place to start. You could get yourself a fitbit (or equivalent tracker thingy) and watch your steps. You can see your improvements and with fitbit (not sure about others…) you can connect with friends and have competitions. I find it spurs me on to go for a walk sometimes if I’m having a flat day and everything always seems better after fresh air

2 Likes

Thanks, I don’t like the idea of the protein shakes much. Will stick with what I’m doing.

I’ll caveat this answer with the fact that I am not a nutritionist and only know what I have had good results with and what I’ve learned through self education.

Depending on the workout, I will eat before, but nothing heavy, usually just a source of complex carbs - an apple, yogurt, some oatmeal, etc. with unsweetened black coffee. I generally work out in the morning so food intake is easy, plus I’m burning calories more efficiently and I up my metabolism throughout the remainder of the day. I don’t generally workout in the evening because it disturbs my sleep cycle. Following a workout, I will immediately have a protein shake of some sort to hit the 45 min window of opportunity for max protein uptake then within an hour I’ll usually have a more traditional breakfast of eggs and toast or eggs and an apple etc…always trying to have one with the other along with a source of healthy fat. I eat small meals frequently throughout the day - or have a protein replacement drink and some veggies or an apple…lots of healthy fats, nuts, avocado etc.

Before bed when I’m training heavy I will have a glass of milk and a spoon of peanut butter and/or a protein shake to keep my body from going into a catabolic state while I sleep.

1 Like

I take a small amount of protein supplement in my morning yogurt most days. Only about half the recommended amount for muscle gain which is enough to keep me from getting hungry later in the day. One large canister lasts me over a year so I don’t really worry about having to stop taking it.

2 Likes

Honestly…I think western society has gone far far far overboard on the protein. I do take a powder when I’m doing hardcore workouts but it is more for the vitamins than protein.

Vega Sport Recovery Acceleratoy is my favourite. It does have protein but also carbs and electrolytes etc. It really helps with post workout pain. You are healing the muscles faster so you can do your next workout sooner. THAT will build you muscle mass.

Google the product.

2 Likes

Not required at all, unless you’re a professional body builder, or have absolutely no time to eat real food. You can get the daily amount from eating normally.

1 Like

@xine meal timing will definitely be personal and you just need to experiment, plus it depends on your goals and what you’re trying to achieve. When I first started the gym I would eat before, now I never eat before, and during the week I don’t eat anything until 5 hours later. I weigh 20 pounds less than I did this time last year but my lifts are still within 95% of my max during that time. I ran a mile of 6’25" one day at the end of a 24 hour fast. This was the fastest I’ve ever ran. One huge difference though will be the perceived effort. I can do a HIIT workout on the bike in the morning and feel like I’m dying (they actually all feel like I’m dying) but the same workout in the evening feels a bit easier. I think the most important thing is where you stand at the end of the day on calories in vs calories out, so time your meals when it’s most convenient for you. And one more note, cardio uses primarily glycogen for fuel which is stored in your muscles and liver, so this is why I adopted intermittent fasting and why you’re able to workout on an empty stomach. I think of it as a gas tank. Why fill up if I’m not on empty yet? These are just my thoughts and opinions. What’s important is that you’re out there doing it!

1 Like

Thanks @Thomas_Wallace! Definitely some good points to consider. Right now I’m focused on doing “something” until I get into a better routine.

1 Like

I did my first 10 mile run today in a long time. Wouldn’t have managed it if I’d been drinking last night so win win

3 Likes

I like making my own protein bars and shakes…I don’t use the powdered stuff, get it from nuts, seeds, yogurt, kefir, etc…all great adds to smoothies.

6 Likes

Oh, sounds interesting. Do you have any recipes?

Here is one of my favorites…

5 Likes

And another…

5 Likes

They sure do. Thanks @Sassyrocks

3 Likes

I like adding the cayenne to both recipes, a little spice!

2 Likes

I’m super glad you reposted them. You gave them to me before but I got a new phone and didn’t save em. Thanks! :metal:

1 Like

Yes I always leave the big meal until after.