Physical Exercise

Yup - limited window of opportunity after a heavy strength workout for maximum absorption of protein. Usually try to hit it within an hour or two…I think 45 minutes is the actual benchmark.

1 Like

Went to price gyms here while I’m in WI… gosh they’re expensive haha $40 plus a month… hoping to enroll. Went to store and got some “clean eating” foods too.

2 Likes

I’m a Crossfit junkie… throwing around heavy weights is therapeutic/cathartic for me. I love to lift. Makes me feel skrong… physically n mentally. Heh.

3 Likes

4 Likes

It’s great when you start to see it and feel it. Keep going :muscle:

2 Likes

Great!
I went from lifting 6 days a week to zero I didn’t realise the totality of my alcoholism. I finally feel like I have all the tools to get back In the gym. Just a matter of doing it instead of making excuses.

1 Like

So today did not go as planned. Got taken out by a dog 5 miles into my ride. Hit the asphalt at 20 mph. At least I’m 7 months sober. Be careful out there.

4 Likes

That’s why we wear helmets, right?? Hope you mend quickly!

Yes sir! My hip, shoulder, and elbow took most of the impact though, my helmet is only slightly scraped. Luckily I didn’t break my collar bone, that’s the most common injury when you go down. It’s ironic that as soon as my foot was nearly healed for me to start back running this happened! I’ll be back in no time. I’m just thankful it wasn’t worse.

2 Likes

I took a hard over the bar landing on my shoulder while riding down a singletrack chute last year around this time…I was certain I broke my collarbone at first…had all the range of motion deficiency’s but no obvious deformity…self mended and gradually got my range of motion back, but it was a solid 2 months before I could lift any substantial weights. I’ve been riding a bit more conservatively since then :joy:

1 Like

Yeah working out is really something everyone should be considering—not only recovering souls. BUT how do you get motivated enough? I would get into gym memberships, etc., workout like a madman then after a few weeks, I just get sick of it :expressionless: what I’ve accumulated are pairs of training kicks and gym clothes that I just shopped for ‘motivation’ but never really worn :pensive: I guess I only got into it cos of the ‘spending’ involved. I need to find a healthy motivation.

[Day 17 of No Shopping, One Year Without Alcohol]

How’s the dog? Was he attacking you or just not paying attention to where he was running?

I hope you heal fast. It looks painful.

Ouch!! It can be scary out there! Hope you heal quickly.

Like I think @Spartan_Chris who quoted Nike said further up, you “just do it”.

I ran 5km today, it was cold, wet and miserable and running through bog land at some points and really heavy underfoot, but it was 25 mins of my life, hard at times, but at the end it felt good and I enjoyed it. It’s also something to talk about and people look at you like your crazy as they don’t have the motivation to get up and do physical exercise themselves.

You gain so much discipline in your life from it too as you have to make time for it and when you consider the amount of time I may have spent drinking some Sundays and being a lazy slob the hour or so it takes is nothing.

Get active with all those sports clothes you bought, you’ll feel great.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! Hope you are better soon and glad to hear it’s nothing serious!

Ouch hope it’s not too sore.

Very true. We do realize how much time we have to do more productive things when we get rid of our addictions and fight to recover. I think I should use that line of thinking more. Thanks!

1 Like

If you’re getting sick of it then whatever you’re doing probably isn’t the right “exercise” for you. Keep trying different things. I don’t go to the gym but I have space in my basement and really enjoy doing PiYo. I get some cardio in too on my elliptical. It’s what I enjoy right now.

3 Likes

Well I do dislike running and yet that’s what I always end up doing haha just cos the feeling at the end is pretty amazing. I’ve kind of gotten over that ‘I-hate-running’ attitude but it becoming a regular thing/a part of my lifestyle is what I’m still trying to figure out. Thanks for the suggestion, I did enjoy yoga… now I just need to find the mat I bought from years ago :sweat:

1 Like

I HATE running lol you couldn’t get me to be a runner in this lifetime :joy: :joy:

2 Likes