Picked up the bottle again

I’ve been called by my AA friend a “hopeless alcoholic”. A few weeks ago I woke up in the city after a bender with no wallet. Two weeks ago I came off my push bike and was taken to hospital via ambulance - thankfully nothing broken. On Monday I slept in the office bc I couldn’t stop drinking. My wife has taken away my money and debit cards…I got money the other day via an app and cardless withdrawl.

So I’m doing things to stop drinking but just cant seem to lick it. Next step is rehab.

Any ideas, advice or encouragement would be welcome.

4 Likes

Hey there Paul, I feel for you. what a hardship. I picked up again after years of clean. not quite the benders you are mentioning but the feeling of having one wine with diner quickly got an edge of feeling out of control. I also knew I had to do something. rehab for me now is not an option but I would definitely consider it. I went years ago and maybe I was one of the lucky ones but the realisation of doing that, being there behind a fence made me never grave for one second for years. And maybe if you have clean time under the belt only a detox rehab short period can help you switch the button again?

4 Likes

Rehab sounds like a good place to start my friend :heart:

5 Likes

You need to get help and support, you can’t do this alone! Either get yourself into a detox and treatment center asap or to an AA meeting and ask for help, there are people who need you as much as you need them. I know it can be the hardest thing in the world to ask for help but that’s where your hope lies my friend, in the hands of other recovered and recovering alcoholics who can support you in whatever ways you need at this time. Take whatever opportunities you can to get help. The window of opportunity and your own willingness to take it doesn’t come easy or often so jump at the chance and give it all you got. Your life depends on it and you’re worth it.

7 Likes

I am no expert, but rehab sounds like it might be just what you need right now. I hope you consider it as an option. That bottle holds nothing but pain and brokenness.

7 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been on a waiting list for rehab and sorting out insurance. Found out I’m off to rehab next week which I’m looking forward to. I get the put everything else aside vibe and prioritise my sobriety. Thanks all

15 Likes

Wonderful news!!!

1 Like

This is great news. Take advantage of this opportunity. You’ll come back a better version of yourself. I only took the detox route and I could have used a full rehab program.

2 Likes

Best advice i can offer is to fully commit to rehab. You will need to push to get what you want from it. Not everything with click with you, so push for the stuff that does, and at the level you need. You have to appreciate how overloaded the staff are and how lowest-common-denominator some of the learning is. You need to fight to make the best of it.
Go well.
Good luck.
You really can do this

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

2 Likes

If you can’t take baby steps on your own? Then rehab might be your best friend. But hey guess what? You’re here, so that means you wanna stop. Very important 1st step. No matter how many times you try, let’s try til we get this thing right. We got this

Hi all. I’ve just started at rehab. Looking forward coming outside stronger . Thanks for all your support

5 Likes

Hi Paul,

I would like to ask you to go in front of a mirror , please do it after you read my message. In the mirror is a strong person , with strong character and power of decision. You can do it , you are strong , you are beutiful creature , you deserve to be better and be loved , take what is yours already and multiply it 1000 times. Keep strong and never back down from this atitude , not 1 min , never!

Thanks for everyone’s support. I ended up getting into rehab and was there for three weeks. It was quite restricted in terms of times to eat, walk outside, no visitors, etc as we had to avoid interactions with others due to covid-19 particularly those on other levels with immunity issues.
But I am one month sober and feeling stronger and optimistic about where I’m heading for the first time in ages. I am on antabuse and campril so cravings have lowered and consequences for drinking are going to be a lot more immediate (antabuse makes U ill). I also received a lot of education about myself, emotions, relationships, addiction, and even found I enjoyed painting.
Thanks again

11 Likes

That’s great to hear!

1 Like

@Soberpaul

I love hearing this!!! It is good to have the learning that goes along with the rehab.
Make sure you get to meetings of some sort. They definitely help me.

Never heard of campril? What is that?

1 Like

@Soberpaul keep up the good work! You CAN do this! As you’ve seen from this thread we all have your back! I wish you continued success on your journey. Nothing is worth picking up the bottle.

1 Like

Sorry it’s campral / acamprosate. It reduces cravings. I’m taking it conjuction with antabuse.
Other people sometimes take naltrexone which also reduces cravings but different class of drug.

1 Like

complete absinence from addicting behaivors meaning not only liquor but every life style choice that has ever led you to drink. it has to be an all or nothing transformation. my best advice is to pray constantly for a new brain and heart that doesnt want to drink. when you really get into prayer youll see the dope shit happen in your head bro i promise!!!

1 Like

and its only my personal opinion but try your best not to take anything to quite just do it when we substitute substance in one for or another we release our addiction all over again