Planning on trying to be sober for over a week

New to this, been drinking almost every day the last 10+ years, I recall going on a streak 4 or so years ago without a drink for a little under a week which is my longest time sober I can remember. Planning on going sober on the 20th till my birthday on the 28th. Any advice? I’m a high functioning alcoholic in my early 30s.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t pick a “date certain” for when you plan to start drinking again. Decide to be better, and then work to be better. Be sober today. Then be sober tomorrow. If you can do that, be sober another day, and another. Don’t “try to be”…just BE.

19 Likes

Maybe try a meeting stay sober a wee bit longer , what you got planned after your birthday?

3 Likes

Why change on your birthday? You should celebrate your “day of birth” by being happy not needed by drink…:blush::hibiscus:
Stick around here…

7 Likes

Agreed. All my years of drinking, I always hated the birthdays I chose to drink, and forgetting all the ‘fun’ I had. Even tho I was still drinking every day during my past birthday in September I chose not to drink this year and had a great one and was happy all day, and the next day waking up refreshed.

7 Likes

Advice…hmmm…well, why are you stopping for a week? Do you want to feel better? Lessen anxiety? No more hangovers? Be more productive in life and work? Not get in drunken fights?

You self identify as a high functioning alcoholic…have you given any thought to a longer stretch of not drinking? I am just wondering what positives drinking is bringing into your life that you want to continue.

For me, I had drank for 40+ years, very high functioning as well. But I was tired of all that mental and physical crap that alcohol brought to my life. I was in fact desperate to change my life and be proud of myself. Alcohol sure stripped me of self confidence and self esteem. Idk, maybe you feel that too?

I hope you find what you are searching for. Sometimes a small step forward can lead to a life altering change. :heart:

15 Likes

Not drinking for 7 days is simple, just don’t drink for 7 days.

Getting sober, that’s a different story. When you’re ready to be sober, spend some time here.

17 Likes

Mine is a very similar story… I’m 33. I’ve also been drinking everyday for years. A few days ago, I completed 7 days sober marking the longest I’ve gone without alcohol for a very very long time…don’t even remember how long. I didn’t plan on it. Didn’t even realise it was happening…I considered myself a high functioning alcoholic too. Until I wasn’t functioning quite so highly any more. Admitted to myself that I had a problem which I already knew I did by virtue of referring to myself as a “high functioning” alcoholic, and simply decided to stay sober. It’s been 10 days now. I have quite some stressful times coming up and I know that I might slip. But choosing to stay strong. You can too if you want to.

Hope you find what you seek.

This forum has helped me and definitely can help you if you want to prolong your steak past your birthday. Happy birthday in advance! :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

That’s the heart of it, right there. It boils down to choice and want. Choosing to try a new direction to better yourself, wanting to be more…
or conversely, choosing to continue down a path that will lead to additional despair and misery.

I know my choice.
Great work on 10 days, keep it up!

5 Likes

Someone told me my first day being sober…

Take it one day at a time. Just say “I’m not going to drink today” and if people ask, you don’t need to say you’re being sober, you can just say you’re not drinking today. Every morning, just think about that day.

I am 44 days sober now, after drinking every day for 12+ years and that is the one thing that really helped me!

And going to AA is a really good support system. I thought it was going to be a religious cult, like everyone thinks… but it’s really just a room of supportive alcoholics that have been through what you are going through and are only there to help. Super great support system!

10 Likes

Love this!

1 Like

I’d say start Tommorow buddy. And if that thought gives you the creeps… More reason to do so.

I figured it’s weird we celebrate birthdays really. Like we’ve done anything but ruin our fathers joytoy. We should be celebrating our mothers on that day. :slight_smile:

And one of my favorite quotes for you to think about…

“Addiction… It only became an issue when I stopped using”.

5 Likes

I’m planning on baby steps from my habitual drinking. I also fear of bad withdrawal symptoms, but I know if I can do a week, I can do more. I would like to be a casual drinker but obviously that seems to not be the case for a recovering alcoholic.

1 Like

Read this… I want to urge you to read in to addiction and the workings of the brain before you “try” sobriety.

The reason I say this is this,
your first run at sobriety is free… All attempts after the first will way much heavier.
So make that first round count for real and not for trying.

Watch this video… When sober :innocent::pray:t2:

2 Likes

Yeah I understand what you mean. Someone told me to only quit when I’m ready. I’m honestly sick of waiting to “be ready”. So I’m trying to make myself “be ready” or health issues might come up to where I wont have that choice anymore. I dont think cold turkey is the way to go considering its dangers

Brah… You are so ready to give it up! You can still dust off pick up an make the second half off your life count double :pray:t2:

read what your writing here as if someone else had been writing it… Whats your take on it then?

Let me tell you what’s keeping you… Fear of what’s ahead. And that pretty normal we all have been scared shitless. The only thing making me stop was there were worse alternatives when I kept using. Losing my kid or worse…

Withdrawal is real… checking in to detox is an option

Withdrawal from alcohol can be coped with.
I believe @SoberWalker could help you with being prepared when that hits pretty good.
Alc is not my DOC so I’m no expert on that.

But take the time and please listen to the suggestion people give you… We’ve been in your shoes at some point.

5 Likes

This. If you want to be sober there is no better day to start than today. Go a week and see how you feel and hopefully you’ll decide to keep on going.

Remember your birthday is just another day, Tuesday!! You can still celebrate and have an awesome time without alcohol.

6 Likes

I think you know that you aren’t a casual drinker. I get wanting to be, I tried that for so many years, but I was just deluding myself. Take it one day at a time. Stick around here, read all you can. And most of all, have faith in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

4 Likes

Hello there and welcome 🙋
Like the others say: don’t focus on the one week sober thing. Just focus on this day and this day only and repeat the day after, etc. The problem is when you focus on 1 week the chance is big you are relapsing after you reach it :cry:
Another tip:
Quit today, don’t hesitate, why should you?
Bad withdrawal symptoms depends on how long you have been drinking and how much. Most of us have night sweats, being irritated, restless, cravings, tired, bad sleeping etc. For me it was hard but absolutely doable!
You can help yourself by buying a good vitamin B supplement and a melatonin supplement (de last one is for better sleeping).
Also a meditation app is highly recogmended.
“Insight timer” is a fee and good app fot that.
I made myself a list of things that are helping me.
If I have cravings I read it and act on it:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

Go get that sober life!
It’s so much better then a drinking one :facepunch:

10 Likes

Thnx Claudia :heart:

1 Like