Please! Can anyone relate?

I collapsed during a 5k in September and lost consciousness. In the hospital they ran liver labs and my AST and ALT were well over 1,000 which is insane. I detoxed in the hospital and have been sober since

4 Likes

Oh wow, @Meaghan922! That’s insane! I’m glad you’re alright!

Thank you. I didn’t realize I was doing so much damage inside because I was very much functional on the outside

1 Like

I can definitely relate to all of them symptoms…and more. I withdrew too quick (I couldn’t keep anything down, not even water) and the next thing I know I was in hospital on a drip as I had a seizure. I was severely dehydrated and the doctors were really concerned at the level of drinking. Of course, falling into the alcohol trap again, I found myself back in hospital due to withdrawal symptoms. I remember going out for a cig whilst waiting in A&E and the next thing I know I was laid on a hospital bed on a spinal board and neck brace. I’d had another seizure outside the hospital and smashed into the concrete face first. They obviously kept me in hospital where I had a THIRD seizure and went into cardiac arrest. I died and the doctors brought me back to life…all while my family stood and watched in tears.

I’m completely sober now and will never touch a drink again and if I get cravings I just play this story in my own head.

Finally I’d say that if anyone gets intense withdrawal systems get yourself to hospital and they’ll probably give you some librium to take the edge off.

Best of luck to you all! :grin: I really do love this community!

8 Likes

WOW @peediddle! That’s a crazy scary story! I’m SO glad they were able to revive you! This account of what you went through will also stay in my mind, probably forever! Isn’t it outrageous what we put ourselves through? And yet we go back again! I thought I was gonna have a seizure too…i didn’t, but I was just shaking and convulsing in ways that I felt like I was about to have one.

I’m very glad that my withdraw was “mild” (comparatively) enough to not need hospitalization. I did end up in the ER when I passed out and face planted in my apartment. The floor, though carpeted, is very hard, but NOTHING like concrete!

I’m just so very glad that you’re ok! You have an intense story that I think everyone should hear! Maybe you should write a short story or even a book… It’s unfortunate that you experienced these things, but it just seems like something that could deter other heavy drinkers.

Thank you SO very much for sharing and for your openness! I appreciate it tons! Keep strong, @peediddle!

3 Likes

Thanks @Jlynn . It is crazy what we do to our bodies. I am glad you didn’t have a seizure because when you recover you feel like you’ve been hit by a bus.

I have never thought about writing it all down in detail but that is something I will give some serious thought about as I love reading / writing! It’s also something else to add to my list of things that keep me occupied and keep the cravings at bay.

I wish you all the best! :+1:

2 Likes

@peediddle…you gotta send me a copy when you’re through writing it! :blush:

Yes I collapsed during a road race and had a seizure. My heart was racing so fast that they had to intubate me to help me breathe and induced a coma for a day. They took my labs in the hospital and my LFTs were sky high. I started hallucinating so they kept me for several days to detox. I haven’t drank since. Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Keep sober Jlynn you got this and you are not alone evryone on here is somewhat in the same boat just different parts of the boat but in the same boat.

1 Like

All those symptoms you just talked about is me. I was the same. I got alcohol poisoning at least once a month for 10 years straight. Those were the days I wouldn’t drink. I’ve blacked out and hit my head on the wall and split my eye open. I also was so sick a couple times that I’d puke so bad I’d break blood vessels in my eyes. I’d drink a whole bottle a night. I used to live on nothing but mashed potatoes and chocolate milk cause that’s all I’d be able to keep down.
I was able to stop so I know you can to! You got this! :v:

4 Likes

@Jlynn
I want to reiterate what @Jane.c said. You may need many different avenues of help. I went to my doctor, a trusted friend (only one I still have), SMART meetings, etc. I found what options I had for treatment and started all of them. Each one brings a piece of recovery. This app is great, but in person help is very powerful. I hope greatly that you seek these out. I was put on naltrexone for alcohol cravings, I posted here regularly, I go to SMART meetings, I talk and test regularly with my doctor. You will find your own way, but by all means start.

2 Likes

The First step in my experience is admitting you have a problem, but the most important thing is that you want to change. Not because anyone else said so, but because you genuinely want to change. You have to look and observe what alcohol had done to you, and sure for you. Fuck it, PROS & CONS. You’re shaking, vomiting, unhealthy diet & sleeping habits, possibly liver or kidney damage. It’s serious. How’s your weight? How’s your skin? Is your face ever puffy(fatter) and your stomach always bloated feeling? Well yeah, that’ll kill you. It’s no way to live, and your body is extremely dehydrated and sick. Detox is best if your serious, followed by forcing yourself to stay at a rehab of your choice for 28 days inpatient. You have to be dedicated. But here’s the “Pros” part… You know what happening to you, and it seems like it’s been a lot more than once. You keep doing it, clearly you like drinking. Is it a social think, anytime anywhere thing, with your girlfriends, or maybe a spouse? It’s fun or helps you clear you head. Something, whatever reason it is you like to drink you have to defeat. You have to realize it is not worth all the things you are losing. I personally was blacking out (not remember the end of the night, or even walking in my house after getting dropped off). I was cursing out my family and pushing everyone I loved away. My situation was deep. But I’m not trying to talk About me, I am trying to talk about you. Just know I just made my account, but I am a young female extremely dedicated to recovery. I’ve been sober over a year, since November 02 2018. My boyfriend is a recovering heroine addict too. But listen, there’s a plan for all of us. Whether you believe in god or not. There’s a plan. You start making the plans to get help and make the change. It’s not or never.

1 Like

@Jlynn I got a call after blood work and they wanted me to go to the ER cause they thought I wes in liver failure but I wasn’t having any noticeable systoms so she told me not to drink for 3 days and come back in. I didn’t I just keep drinking for a few more days til I realized that even with that news I could not stop. I called out for help. Spend 30 day in detox and rehab and after 3 weeks of getting out I was drinking again. So after a week long binge I checked myself back in. Blew a 4.0 at check in but was still talking and walking and coherent (scary). My enzymes were at 900. I am now 177 days sober and my liver enzymes are still slightly elevated but they Doc said it may take a little more time to be completely normal again. But they did an ultrasound on my liver and it came back with normal results.That wassuch a releif. I was worried that I was too late and had done permanent damage. So just stay strong. You liver is an amazing organ and if not to late will start to heal itself.

2 Likes

Naltrexone! EYYYyo! It will help beyond words. I will be in touch.
Much love!
JT

1 Like

How much/often were you consuming?

Im on my second day out of detox and rehab. It was scary as shit to admit to myself that I needed that kind of help to get my recovery started. It was the best decision I have made in a long time. They helped the first 4 days to get me through withdrawl without feeling like I was going to die and then was able to get my feet back on the ground and learn tools I can use at home to stay sober not to mention I met some fantastic people. I highly recommend it.

I definitely would suggest talking to a doctor and getting their opinion. You absolutely could be experiencing withdrawals, and if they’re that bad it might be a good idea to be medically supervised just in case. But what you’re describing also sounds similar to what I was experiencing when I found out I had alcoholic hepatitis. Have you had a liver function test done recently? I was having very similar symptoms and after blood tests, was told my ALT levels were 1400 and my AST was 1700. It was… bad.
I was one of the very lucky ones who was able to quit and detox on my own, but everyone is different and it sounds like itd be worth it to have a convo with your doc about it :blush:

1 Like

Sleep is the bad one for me, when constantly drinking I would just realise I’m passing out and crash out on the bed, sleeping thorough. In the early stages of abstinence (now and previously failed attempts) my LENGTH of sleep suffers badly as I constantly wake up mind racing or all over body pain kicking off like it does.

I am aware however that the QUALITY of sleep improves in time, as I’m not just unconscious through the booze.

Suppose the point I’m trying to make is that things do get better every single day you keep away from drinking, you are stronger than these trials your body puts you through in recovery and you will beat this, every day is a victory :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been good. No relapses so that’s something I’m proud of…it hasn’t been easy, though! How are you hanging in?

Daily…except for the days that I was unable to keep anything down. I’m doing well with not drinking currently, but once in a whine I think, “oh, one can’t hurt”. I know that’s a lie that my brain is telling me, tho. I’ve been a good girl!

1 Like