Post about what helps keep you busy and away from your addiction

This girl and my other bike have helped me clear my mind so many times. Looking forward to another day of sobriety. Tell me what helps you stay sober

6 Likes

My wife and family, my cat and dog, I enjoy reading and I still enjoy my video games.

3 Likes

My kids and my job, pretty much. I haven’t had much urge to be social, but am going to a 100th birthday party tomorrow so at least I am still invited to social events even though they may be 70 years older than me!:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Going for bike rides and working on bikes. Trying to get a shop started up for a friend so thankfully i have that going. Bicycles that is.
That, and this app, but the biggest are my wife and 2 little kids.

2 Likes

You do mountain biking or road bikes?

Both, but mostly road bikes. I got annoyed with having to drive 45min to ride my mtn bike. Easier to just hop on my road bike and ride from the house.

Mindless video games, playing with my cat. Anything is better than getting bombed.

3 Likes

What games do you play boss? I think they help me too sometimes

Off and on, DotA 2 and world of Warcraft. The social elements keep me interested.

Gotcha I’ve thought of getting a PC for gaming just don’t have the money. Tight now it’s just SNES lol :joy:

1 Like

Did you get the new thing or just emulating?

The gym has been amazing for my sobriety, being around my family, I’ve decided to explore new beaches on my days off to help keep me focused and not bored.

3 Likes

I really wish I got the new one. It’s just the old one but I do have emulators as well.

I like to search for things in thrift stores/craigslist to resell. It consumes a lot of time when I’m really into it (research, listing, customer communication etc) And the way I look at it, before hand I was blowing money on booze, now I’m saving that money and making a little more on top of it. Double win.

1 Like

I’m a pilot & fly a little airplane, giving rides is my favorite thing. When the weather doesn’t cooperate, I play my banjo. I don’t know the first thing about music but I can play a little that I’ve learned on you tube. It’s a huge time killer. PlayStation is a good distraction too, but I used to play it drinking a lot & the music of Crash Bandicoot still makes me want a beer.

2 Likes

Coffee and the gym. Boxing, getting punched in the face during a sparring session gave me the first proper thrill I’d had since my partying days :joy:

2 Likes

Reading receipe books even though I’m a terrible cook :joy:

3 Likes

I agree with you I know during my 8 years of addiction I used to be a sports fanatic played every sport in high school and then College and then I started doing drugs obviously but I’ve been clear now for 31 days and weightlifting definitely has produced natural highs for me and I forgot how good that feels still not getting good sleep but I believe that’ll change here I just got to be Headstrong

1 Like