Prayer - what does it mean to you?

Step 4 prayer… Page 66 of the big book.

This is a sick man.
How can I be helpful to him?
God save me from being angry.
Thy will be done.

Here’s a simple but useful guide on it:

4 Likes

Hmmmm. But the person in question has passed away. I’m not sure any of those work. But thanks. I’ll keep looking.

Maybe it isn’t really about a Prayer but more of a letting go of the past.

I really like that Kierkegaard quote it’s so true. I don’t pray really. I just thank whatever is out there if I had a good day and that I didn’t drink. I don’t need to know what it is at the moment, just that something is out there

1 Like

I forgave my father, who abused me. It came naturally as I began to view him with compassion and understanding. Once I understood how trapped he was in his own sickness and poor mental health, I was able to forgive him. To me, if you can forgive someone then you no longer resent them. Keep in mind that compassion and forgiveness is not the same as excusing the behavior. It was inexcusable. But I do forgive him now and feel sorry for him that he was trapped in the hell of his ill mind his entire life and never escaped it until he died.

4 Likes

I don’t use a specific format, though perhaps it would help. My goal is to replace the feelings of resentment with a benevolent heart towards a fellow human, so I go with saying whatever I can think of that reflects having good will towards the person. Asking for understanding of their situation, expressing desire for their needs to be met and positive change to be happening in their lives, expressing thanks for the positive impacts (direct and indirect) they’ve had in my life, etc. I find that the act of praying in this way reinforces positive reactions to thinking of the person, which in turn loosens the grip of the tendency to focus on the resentment and negativity. So it’s less a prayer about the resentment itself and more trying to put something new in its place. I’m not sure how I would adapt it for the case of someone who has passed away, though.

3 Likes

Prayer has been on my mind lots lately, as my approach and routines develop. Today, whilst on holiday, i received a message that someone that i love’s mother died overnight. I went to a sacred place here and got on my knees to pray for them and their family. It’s the first time I’ve gotten on my knees to pray. This is the place.

6 Likes

It’s beautiful, so sorry for yours and your friends loss. :heart:

2 Likes

I pray a lot. Sometimes on my whole drive on my way to work. Its an hour drive. I ask God for understanding.

I have really bad anxiety when i drink, i havnt rationalized it yet. Maybe survivors guilt? I sometimes think, life sucks since i cant share it with my brothef and father.

My father died of liver cirrhosis. I think a huge part of drinking is trying to find out why he drank like that. Ironic i know. Kill myself to understand why he killed himself. So i ask God instead to just tell me rather than me going down that hole.

I pray because he understands. I hate the tough love thing. Especially from stangers, its only tough love if you love the person first, if not its just talking crap. People more obessed with being “right” than helping others. When i talk to God, he understands and supports me.

I also think we have a mutual understanding. He knows where i was raised, the streets i slept on when i was a kid, and he knows why i did some things i did. I understand as an adult it wasnt right and have the ability to change. We have a mutual understanding, i didnt have a choice back then but i do now.

God is understanding to me.

2 Likes

This quote spoke to me. I need to rethink a few things in my life.

I don’t pray. I call myself an atheist but deep down I do believe that some higher power exists. I am not honest about it and I usually deny the presence of God in any form. But deep inside I know I am weak and I fall back on God, especially when I am in trouble.

1 Like

I do not call my higher power God, which helps me move away from my pre conceived ideas of what that means. I, too, have always been an atheist, so my own assumptions held me back. Allowing myself to use and develop ideas and language that i am comfortable with had really helped me find new willingness. With that willingness and open-mindedness has come a glimmer of new inner serenity (sometimes - work in progress).

Praying helps me to calm down.
It feels like cutting my problems and concern in a half, it takes weight off my shoulders.
It makes me more attentive.
I do it often in the morning on my way to work or when I get home. Or sometimes when I wake up. And literally always when I hear or see an Ambulance rushing by.

2 Likes

As I had it put to me:

Prayer is putting the questions out there.
Meditation is listening for the answers.

3 Likes

I pray every morning and at night. For me prayer is a way to connect to my HP or god and get closer . I thank him during my highs and when I am down I pray for help, guidance and understanding. Many things in this world are beyond my control and understanding, I pray for good over bad. A good thread.

5 Likes

As muslim i must prayer five time in a day but i only prayer when i need something from allah this make me upset

I pray every night. I always say thank you for this day; it was truly a blessing (no matter if it was a good day or bad day). I pray for my family, my friends, and ANYONE else who needs prayers even if I don’t know them. I pray for the strength and courage to face each day. I also let my higher power know that I know I am not in control (no one really is) but I ask for help through the difficult times and thank for the good times. I really can’t remember everything but I really do pray for at least 10 minutes every single night. Who knows if I am doing it right, but I feel in my heart I am. I also feel a weight lifted off of me afterwards.:pray:

3 Likes

You could just ask Goat. Lol

1 Like

You rock my world already, Goat. Now gimme s’more!

3 Likes

Prayer (for me) means talking to God and Jesus. Telling him im thankful for everything and to forgive me of my sins. I also pray for those less fortunate… Although some may say i am less fortunate. But i am not. I have all i need. And although im a single mom struggling here and there it could always be worse. So. Please believe in prayer. It does work. I pray every night to take care and heal and save the poor and homeless. Help them to find Jesus like i have… Also the sick and helpless. It is asking God to help those in need. And if you youself need prayer, he always listens to us. Prayer is very strong. If wedont ask, we wont recieve… In Jesus name. “All have sinned and fell short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ.” (OUR LORD AND SAVIOR) Romans 3:23-24.

3 Likes