Prescribed Naltrexone?

I met with my primary care doctor yesterday and I was finally transparent with her on my sobriety. We discussed how I’ve been alcohol free since January 26th, but like many others…I still get cravings and think about having a drink (sometimes daily) even though I KNOW 1 would turn into me blacking out!!
Does anyone have any input on this medication as I was prescribed Naltrexone-50 mg daily?? And specifically, did this help with alcohol addiction and reducing the cravings? Maintaining my sobriety is my number one priority!!!

4 Likes

I did aaaaages ago, like 12 yrs back when I didn’t actually wamt to stop yet. It wasn’t much help for me, I had to find another way personally, along with a genuine desire to quit for myself. However, I hope it can help you! It’s worth a try at least.

1 Like

Thanks for the response!! I was actually a little surprised when she immediately prescribed it. She said that it generally takes a solid 6 months of being sober to make it “stick”. I feel like I’ve done a pretty good job so far with staying AF without any medication. :woman_shrugging:But if it helps reduce any cravings then I’m considering taking it. This time of the year is hard for me…the weather getting nicer, friends having cookouts, summer holidays, etc…

1 Like

It’s worth seeing if it can be of use to you, especially if she feels it could be.

However, in conjunction with or without it, I feel it’s important to find other ways to disspell cravings. Whether it’s CBT, rememberimg your "why"s’ etc. Hell even a nap is a great way to fast-forward through a craving. For me, it was being active here on TS, being a stubborn bastard, and eventually coming to see alcohol/drunkenness as outright revolting. A pill can only do so much, aaaaand:

These are things which will never go away. Alcohol being a focal point in many cultures, never going away. A pill can help, but I wouldn’t rely on it to be my sole protection. However, you said you’ve some time under your belt already so far - so keep working those tools, too. Best of luck!

3 Likes

Naltrexone does work pretty good. It does cause a little drowsiness at first but it may be a good supplement to help where you are in your recovery right now while you are getting that firm foundation set. If it doesn’t work for you then nothing lost.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice!!
I think I’ll give it a shot tomorrow morning. I’ve got a busy day of taking my youngest kids to Kings Island (a local amusement park).
I just wanted to see how this med has effected anyone who’s been prescribed it. I know little about it lol.

1 Like

I’ve not taken it, but it will work if I want it to.

Congrats on 94 days!! At this point, mental cravings and obsessive thinking of drinking is normal. I remember thinking, “Am I going to be fighting this everyday, forever?” - the answer is no. The cravings, the constant thoughts, they do go away.

Changing your relationship with alcohol can speed that up and make the days a lot easier. Here’s a thread on that topic.

Change your Relationship with Alcohol

2 Likes

I never took it, but have seen many take it as I write for it. Works decently, also comes in an injectable form monthly to take reinforce consistency and compliance. There’s also Acamprosate too, more costly and taken 3 times a day with pretty good results.

As a drunk in recovery who sees addicts/alcoholics daily, by far the most important thing is getting into a rhythm of daily activities that reinforce sobriety— this place, meetings, healthy eating habits and exercise, hobbies, doing things with other sober folks. All I know. Congrats on your days!

2 Likes

Thank you!! I’ve been getting into an old hobby I love, refinishing old furniture. It’s quite therapeutic for me lol!! I was wondering about it increasing anxiety or other unwanted side effects? I’m slowly learning how disassociate myself with the things I used to that ALWAYS involved alcohol. That’s tough. Most of the people I hung around, were also drunks so that’s been a bit challenging.

1 Like

I did years ago what my primary Doctor told me was Naltrexone binds to the endorphin receptors in the body, and blocks the effects and feelings of alcohol so basically on my nights out I would drink less but because it was at a time I didn’t want to stop drinking I would keep drinking until I got drunk so I stopped using it has worked for others though.

1 Like

Ok, I’ve been AF over 90 days now. I guess I was wondering about making the cravings I still have become less numerous….

Yeah it couldn’t hurt I would try it my doctor also talked about other alcohol abstinence drugs like Acamprosate.

1 Like

I’ve been on the pill form and didn’t like it (I wasn’t ready to be done). I was on the injectable version and loved it (I was ready to be done). It may reduce cravings but works much better when you are doing things to work on sobriety.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!! I’m still too nervous to try it . I definitely have the complete mindset of being done with alcohol so maybe I really should give it a shot !

Im currently taking it, 50mg and its doing wonders for me, along with healthy distractions like walking and exercising. I can be around my friends and family while they drink and not feel the need to indulge myself. Ive been on it for about 40 days now, certain times the cravings come with a vengeance but I dont think I need to go to 100mg, hope I never will. I’d like to get off it within a year

2 Likes

Thanks!! That’s awesome to hear!!! I’d LOVE to eventually be able to hang around with Family/Friends who drink and not cave !!