Pretty proud of myself

Hey, I’m a snowflake too.

Were all just snowflakes in a big snowstorm.

1 Like

The term alcoholic/ism and addict might be outdated. I prefer substance use disorder when I’m around normies. It’s in the DSM-V and is used by doctors. Using alcoholic and addict does have a stigma attached to it that prevents people from seeking treatment. I use those terms here bc I’m amongst like minded folks, but generally don’t use them when interacting with the regular populous

2 Likes

I really hope you don’t uninstall! Your comments always chirk me up. Not sure what I think about this thread but I hope you stay.

2 Likes

It’s all about being straight forward if people can’t handle the truth that’s there problem not yours we need me people in the world like that so I don’t think you should delete the app

2 Likes

Yeah…kinda gonna have to disagree with you here: Addicts are great at rationalizing (ie. lying) to themselves that they “don’t have a problem”, “have it all under control”, “can quit when I want to”, “just this one time”, “I deserve it”, “I earned it”, “I’m an adult and this is what adults do”.

How do I know? Because these are but some the very lies I told myself, when I was actively drinking. I look at the name of this forum: Talking Sober. Not “Playing Sober”.

Now if OP’s goal is to quit Coke right now, and wants to tackle each addiction one at a time, that’s his choice, and his plan. I can respect that. However, I wouldn’t be patting myself on the back if I had conquered alcoholism by switching to pot, and claim sobriety.

But hey, we all have out paths to walk, our own burdens to bear. I just see that my path is bordered on both sides by a very slippery slope, and the only safe path, is one of 100% abstinence from intoxicating substances.

4 Likes

i think we’d all benefit if we kept in mind that this site/forum is for anyone to discuss their sobriety. and i think we should remember everyone gets to this site differently and has different intentions of using it. not everyone here is an alcoholic or addict. not everyone here wants to actively engage in a program of recovery. not everyone here wants to be entirely clean and sober, some may be looking for moderation or abstinence. i think it’s important we try and keep that in mind when responding to stuff,

OP started this thread saying he was pretty proud of himself. he didn’t include anything along the lines of asking for opinions or input from others or state what his hopes are regarding sobriety/moderation/abstinence/recovery? had he asked for input or anything maybe then we could have derailed the whole thread into an entirely different subject, but, i feel like OP just wanted some cyber high fives? ya know?

if you’re proud of yourself then heck yea OP you do you! :smile:

5 Likes

And positive you should feel. Each and every time you say “no”, you’ve exercised self-discipline. With each repetition, you get stronger. I had one hell of a relapse, after I decided to get sober. Had 30 days, and then used my Ma’s death as an excuse to really crawl into the bottle.

Please don’t take this as a “here’s your participation trophy”. If your goal is to be 100% clean and sober, go for it! Claw and kick and punch and bite your way there. One drink, line or toke at a time, saying “no” gets you one step closer.

2 Likes

Mate am here to get better everybody has falls but I find the positive in things and that was a positive for me cause I didn’t do any coke I told myself no I don’t need that in my life anymore and this site is to help people not judge them when they see they done a positive thing cause a couple of weeks ago I couldn’t have a drink without having coke or not have a drink on the weekend I just was expressing the way I felt we all make mistakes and it’s our choice to learn from them

4 Likes

Nicole, I dont think anyone was trying to attack you or Daniel here. I think what they’re trying to say is that addiction is a negative cycle. Going back into it even a little risks spiralling.

I get what you’re saying though. Daniel was just proud that he didnt use coke. It’s a great accomplishment that he should be commended on. Some may have been overzealous in offering advice where he wasn’t really asking for any. I think they mean well though. We all want a sober life, and one of the things that helps fulfill our lives is seeing others break free from the chains that we were also bound with.

Don’t leave I ain’t even got to know you yet and you seem like a really nice person that’s what it needs on this site positive people not negative people

1 Like

Thank you for understanding where I was coming from cause that’s all I was doing is try to express how I feel being positive and maybe help someone who’s going threw the same thing that’s all

2 Likes

Well, stick around. There honestly is a lot of great advice on here. It’s all our hopes that someday we will be free of all mind altering drugs in any form. We can take it one step at a time.

Create a new thread and share your story with us! We would love to hear it!

@DungeonMaster do you ever sleep? What time is it, 6 am?

1 Like

Haha! Yeah, its 6 here. Gearing up for a run. Dropping my morning timber and then running to the gym and back.

Overachiever. I didn’t get up until 6:45. I was up late doing step work so I wanted to sleep in.

Well, I just naturally wake up around that time. Kind of a morning person here. At night I’m exhausted.

Same! I’m up between 4&5 am every day. Come 8pm, especially toward the end of the week and I’m done for lol.

1 Like

I wonder how attempt at moderation is going. I hope the OP is doing well and didn’t slip back in to old behaviors.

2 Likes

He was back and thinking a bit differently earlier this year…but has been gone for a few months. Hopefully he has stayed clean and is doing well.

1 Like

I am just going to assume the best and that he’s living his best sober life

1 Like