Psych Meds and Sobriety

So my Doc has put me on neurontin for anxiety. It doesnt fuck me up necessarily, put it does make me woozy and chatty. Should i be concerned that its effecting my sobrety. Thoughts?

1 Like

I don’t think so because a doctor prescribed it to you and I dont think your looking to abuse it.

1 Like

I believe that, for many people, psych meds absolutely have a place in recovery. Sometimes addiction isn’t the only thing for which we are wired. There is a huge correlation between anxiety disorders and alcoholism. I am treated for anxiety and depression, and my sobriety is still at the forefront of my mind each day.

Neurontin has a low potential for addiction, so it is a better choice for us than benzos. I’m just wondering if that is why your doctor decided to go that route? I’m hopeful that it will have you feeling better very soon. If, by chance, you start feeling a “high” off of it - or seeing that you are feeling more depressed instead of better, call your doc ASAP. There are a lot of options for getting you to a place of feeling much better.

7 Likes

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems to really be helping and it’s not as altering as I thought.

2 Likes