PTSD anyone?

Anyone else dealing with PTSD along with their sobriety? Doesn’t have to be military related

Lots of us do. I’m a military wife so my isn’t combat related, but you’ll find many people struggling with PTSD here.

Oh yeah, ptsd like woah, non-military.

Yes, for a few decades, though it has gotten much better the past 7 or 8 years…a blessing.

Yup,it’s fairly common in general.

I do, service connected

"How common is PTSD?
An estimated 7.8 percent of Americans will experience PTSD at some point in their lives, with women (10.4%) twice as likely as men (5%) to develop PTSD. About 3.6 percent of U.S. adults aged 18 to 54 (5.2 million people) have PTSD during the course of a given year. This represents a small portion of those who have experienced at least one traumatic event; 60.7% of men and 51.2% of women reported at least one traumatic event. The traumatic events most often associated with PTSD for men are rape, combat exposure, childhood neglect, and childhood physical abuse. The most traumatic events for women are rape, sexual molestation, physical attack, being threatened with a weapon, and childhood physical abuse.

About 30 percent of the men and women who have spent time in war zones experience PTSD. An additional 20 to 25 percent have had partial PTSD at some point in their lives. More than half of all male Vietnam veterans and almost half of all female Vietnam veterans have experienced “clinically serious stress reaction symptoms.” PTSD has also been detected among veterans of other wars. Estimates of PTSD from the Gulf War are as high as 10%. Estimates from the war in Afghanistan are between 6 and 11%. Current estimates of PTSD in military personnel who served in Iraq range from 12% to 20%."

I’ve dealt with PTSD on many levels, both Military and in my civilian life.

Do you have a question?

In fact, my brother who did three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan committed suicide in reference to PTSD. Unfortunately, I was kicking rocks in the sandbox, and didn’t realize how severe his was. Until, I got the call it already occurred.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I am a Desert Storm vet. Fortunately, never had any issues. I attribute it to the short duration of actual combat, and the relatively low casualty rate. The only casualties suffered in my unit of Combat Engineers was a guy got runover by a 5-ton truck in the dark.

I have PTSD from childhood and have done a lot of EMDR. It was really helpful and decreased my nightmares a lot. I find that trauma is one of those things that always comes back around again when life gets tough. Dr. Gabor Mate has a couple books out that focus on trauma, addiction, and chronic health issues.

Ive been done wrong by cops abusing authority. Such as no proof and just send me to jail. Pulled over for tag lights that are not out but was thier excuse. Pulled n searched a few times with no probable cause. My rap sheet isnt that bad and i have no felonies. Town cops around here abuse power and since all these things gives me ptsd being around cops… stressful sometimes but i deal.

Yes, it’s from working with people HIGHLY affected by autism.

Thanks for the info @Yoda-Stevie

Thanks for sharing everyone… I know I started this thread, but even visiting it is pretty dang overwhelming, but thank you all for sharing and your support! :slight_smile:

I have PTSD as well, non-military. I refused to believe it for quite a few years and dismissed any ideas that I couldn’t control it or my surroundings. Therapy has helped, sobriety has definitely impacted it for the better.

I’ve been a paramedic for 30 years. I deal with it daily.

I am a combat veteran. I have had 5 surgeries on my wrist and ankle at the VA hospital Mikael DeBakey Houston Texas. Nobody cares. Really. Even my social worker at the hospital checks her watch constantly. Protesters outside tell me that iam Islamophobic. They know nothing about what I’ve seen. Nothing. Taliban use little kids to get us close and then detonate bombs. Now miscounted is full of despicable people protesting the fact charity and protect them. There needs to be a separation.

These are leftist liberals that only watch and listen to just what the media tells them. They dont know the true reality of that religion or war. Just like they protest for these refugees to become citizens over night. Have they been too their local city before and seen the homeless. We have children homeless on the street yet you wanna help an illegal break the law… Sad

I care buddy. Thank you for your service!