PTSD anyone?

Yes. I went through an extraordinarily horrific experience watching my mother die in front of me which precipitated my unhinged drinking. I’ve been to therapy to deal with that but didn’t get on the “oh shit, I have a drinking problem” train until more recently. 2 days after going sober (I’m only 10 day out) I started having nightmares again. So it just reaffirms that I have a lot more work to do mentally, and emotionally, to make this happen…

2 Likes

Keep it up! It’s the hardest lesson I’ve had to learn (and am still learning), but 12yrs after my incident I’ve come to accept that there’s purpose in pain. Look to those around you, helping others can give life an amazing purpose!

2 Likes

My PTSD is acting up. I’m a Medic in Ventura County. I had the Borderline shooting then the fires.tryinv not to get triggered.

Non military here, caused by multiple different traumatic experiences. A lot of us struggle with it, it seems.
After a lot of trauma therapy, not drowning it away in alcohol and facing it, it has gotten somewhat better. Still sometimes rears up with the nightmares, intrusive thoughts, inability to focus, etc but I’m really trying to put in work to help me get a handle on it. It was a huge factor in my drinking for a long time and feels like a lot to conquer at once but I’m giving it my best.

Its not bad anymore unless I get drunk and the memories come up. But 4 years ago I went to an inpatient treatment center to get help with that and my drinking and they had me go through EMDR therapy. I highly recommend it.

Yes, I have it as well. I have the combo of anxiety, depression, and PTSD, which seems to be a pretty common combo from what I have been seeing.

1 Like

Yes, me too. I’ve had years of therapy and EMDR twice. I have to remind myself that the traumatic events of the past are over and done.

YUP! I most certainly am.

This. Thank you

Boozhoo, means hello. And YES I have severe PTSD for as long as I can remember! Yes, it’s not easy but the word “impossible” says … “Im” … “possible”! I’ve worked with counselors and my sponsor but recovery is possible! Keep ur head up! Your higher power don’t give ya more than you can handle👍🏼

1 Like

Yes major and its getting better over time most definitely so I’m stoked

I am an Iraqi vet…I feel it too everyday!!! Makes sobriety so much more difficult!!!

1 Like

Welcome @Erin_Kelley I’m sorry to hear that you struggle with ptsd your are not alone in that in here though there are a good few vets, some with PTSD and plenty of civilians with it. I hope you stick around and get to know us, we are a warm bunch. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have it from a serious car accident. It’s loss of control and not knowing if you will live. Yes, the military gets it really bad. But there are many other things that can help. Seek professional help! You are all worth it!!!

1 Like

I stubbed my toe once… don’t ask a question like this

Is that constructively adding to the conversation in the thread as set out in the forum rules and guidelines??

3 Likes

@anon13078412 sorry it hit a nerve I shouldn’t have written that though

Don’t worry about it pal :+1::slightly_smiling_face::frowning:

I’ve been struggling with some stuff and was told its PTSD I just don’t want to believe it I was out of line

Don’t worry about it, I was trying to work out what was going on more than anything. I thought it was someone knocking somebody else,s PTSD not somebody who had it struggling to fill come to terms with it :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like