Quarantine with kids

How is everyone doing with this quarantine and kids being at home? My husband and I have worked from home for 3 years now so that wasn’t the huge adjustment. It’s having kids at home all day when they should be at school. Now, instead of just being a Network Engineer II. I also have to be a teacher, a lunch lady, and a janitor. Which is fine. It’s just juggling all of that on top of being a full time employee and wife. Have I questioned my sobriety? Honestly, no. I see a lot of people’s Instagram stories and photos of drinking in the morning and middle of the day. Can I judge? Definitely not. Bc I’ve been there. But, I sure hope people are taking a good hard look at drinking isn’t the answer. I would lose my mind if I was drinking during a time like this. Would my kids school work get done if I was drinking? Maybe? Just glad I am sober and plan on keeping it that way forever. Just wanted to check in with everyone during these difficult times.

11 Likes

Is their school coming up with a plan for “distance learning”? That’s what my kid’s school district is calling it. Hopefully after spring break they will be able to start this program so we can kinda shift the responsibility a little.

But I feel you! A lot of what I’m seeing on social media is how everyone is so bored. And how this is a mandatory time to stay home and do nothing. Can’t relate lol

2 Likes

So their school has set up online assignments. They have certain websites they go to that the teachers can track their minutes. But, my daughter in prek is all up to me. I have to write out her ABCs, numbers and her name for her to write out herself. It’s just a lot. But, I have noticed a lot of parents arent making their kids do any of the online work. I can tell by the lack of minutes of the students and the fact that my son has 20 kids in his class and only about 5 are doing the work.

3 Likes

I am a stay at home mom anyway and have wanted to homeschool. I love having my son home and being able to be a part of school with him. I do however wish i could get them out to the museum or aviary or even the playground but, we live in the mountains and have been able to go on a lot of fun nature walks.

3 Likes

Ya now would be an ideal time to be drinking. My kids are grown up and out!! But with all this CV shit going on I’m so glad I’m sober. If I wasn’t sober I’m sure I’d be doing Bloody Mary Monday’s after mimosa Sundays. Passing out on the couch in the evening and the beating myself up about it the next morning. Then repeating the cycle. I DON’T DRINK anymore.
@Yoda-Stevie I just love that thought. “ I DON’T DRINK”
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Granted it is in the UK but a forum member runs a distance learning company with her father though I don’t think it’s for school kids. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh! Yes if your daughter is that age, that has got to be so much harder.

I hope everyone gets on board as much as they can with their kids education. I know everyone is struggling so much.

1 Like

My daughter had made a very compelling case to do 8th grade online, to which her mother and I agreed. This experience during the closing months of her 7th grade year are just an opportunity to roll right into it. So far, she’s adjusting I think. One of the benefits of her attending a small private school was just how quickly the staff was able to stand up distanced learning. School closed on a Friday, and they were online the following Tuesday.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! We are part of a fairly large school district and they basically had to make sure everyone was set up with internet and a Chromebook. We won’t be online until mid April.

2 Likes

My daughter has been talking with me and her grandparents a lot on this topic (grandson is turning 6 this summer!!). As the child of educators, I know how important teachers and schools are. I also know that sometimes back to basics can be more productive for some children and parents, especially during times of heightened stress. We put so much pressure on ourselves and our kids, now could be a good collective breath, if that fits into your beliefs or lifestyle.

Instilling a love of reading is so important for all humans…reading educates us, expands our mind and world. Reading to your little ones, reading with budding readers and allowing older readers to read all they want…precious stuff there.

Other great basics…nature walks and discovery…learning about the trees, clouds, insects, plants, animal tracks and scat…outside learning is endless… tending to animals (if you have them), baking and cooking together, household stuff…cleaning, bed making all that stuff. Gardening is a great skill to teach our kids if we are so blessed to have a garden.

Sorry I am blathering on…I miss my grandson and want to take him bug hunting. I applaud you all for holding it together at this time. Strong parents!! :heart:

:heart:

2 Likes

Strong parents unite!!! It. Is. Not. Easy. Being a full time employee, working from home AND being a teacher out of nowhere. Thankfully the school district had their online classes ready to go within a 2 day period. I highly doubt these kids are going back to school before summer gets here :pensive::woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

I had been close to getting some sober time under my belt the last few months. Couldn’t seem to break much past 10 days. But I knew I was getting stronger and more committed. This evolved thought process coupled with this pandemic crisis has combined to give me exactly what I needed. No travel for work, quality family time and no stress from work. This was the perfect storm I needed to level set my loyalty to whiskey. I am enjoying this quarantine more than most or maybe I am just excited about the gains I’m making.

3 Likes

I am so proud of you!!! Drinking. Is. Not. Worth. It. Not even during this pandemic!!! Congrats!!!

1 Like